Brian Foster just wanted to get in, get a tournament win, and get out. He ended up getting the victory he sought, but it wasn’t anywhere near as smooth as he would have liked.
World Series of Fighting 25 took place on Friday night at the Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, with the focus being a one-night, eight-man lightweight tournament that underwent several twists and turns before Foster emerged victorious in the end.
Foster lost his quarterfinal bout to Joao Zeferino, who submitted him via heel hook in the opening two minutes of their bout, and then went on a tear that most expected would result in him winning the tournament.
After defeating Foster, Zeferino again used a heel hook, this time submitting Jorge Patino in just one-minute-24-seconds to earn a birth in the finals.
Meanwhile, an injured Mike Ricci had to pull out of his semifinal bout with Luis Palomino, so WSOF officials inserted Foster back into the competition. He finished Palomino at the 4:19 mark of the second round, setting up a rematch with Zeferino in the tournament final.
This time, Foster was able to defend Zeferino’s leg lock attempts and eventually took top potion when they hit the canvas in the second frame. Foster rocked Zeferino and unleashed a few follow-up punches that forced a halt to the fight just before the end of the second round, redeeming himself and winning the lightweight tournament.
In the night’s co-main event, veteran Jason High returned from a one-year suspension for shoving a referee to finish Estevan Payan in the opening minute of round two.
WSOF 25: Eight-Man Lightweight Tournament Full Results
- Brian Foster def. Joao Zeferino via knockout (punches) at 4:51, Round 2
- Jason High def. Estevan Payan via TKO (head kick and punches) at 0:47, Round 2
- Brian Foster def. Luis Palomino via TKO (strikes) at 4:19, Round 2
- Joao Zeferino def. Jorge Patino via submission (heel hook) at 1:24, Round 1
- Joseph Barajas def. Erik Villalobos via TKO (strikes) at 4:06, Round 3
- Roberto Yong def. Jimmy Scully via TKO (strikes) at 1:11, Round 1
- Luis Palomino def. Richard Patishnock via knockout (punches) at 4:55, Round 1
- Joao Zeferino def. Brian Foster via submission (heel hook) at 1:46, Round 1
- Mike Ricci def. Joe Condon via TKO (head kick) at 2:41, Round 1
- Islam Mamedov def. Jorge Patino via unanimous decision
- Ramil Mustapayev def. LaRue Burley via unanimous decision
Brian Foster’s Tournament Winning Finish
(Video and photo courtesy of MMA World Series of Fighting)