by Mick Hammond
It was indeed a “Rock ‘N Rumble” night this past Saturday, July 30th as the Reno Events Center in Reno, NV hosted the city’s first MMA show in nearly a year when the IFC and Tuff ‘N Uff Productions teamed up to produce a night full of action. The event showcased local talent, UFC veterans, and three ISKA-MMA Championship bouts in front of a packed house in an evening that featured finishes in six out of eight fights.

In the night’s main event, Travis “Diesel” Wiuff, now training out of Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Utah, defeated a clearly undersized, but game, Bill “The Truth” Hill to capture the ISKA-MMA World Light-Heavyweight title. Hill, who had lost to Horn twice at middleweight, had weighed the previous day comfortably at 198lbs compared to Wiuff who had weighed in at the limit of 205lbs and was closer to 220lbs when he entered the cage, and the size difference showed.

Wiuff wasted no time in clinching with Hill, taking him down and dominating position throughout the first round. For his part Hill managed to work his way out from underneath Travis a couple of times only to get taken right back down for more punishment. Hill’s best offense came when he had a guillotine choke on Wiuff from underneath on the ground, but it didn’t last long. Travis managed to stand up with Hill desperately trying to hold the guillotine, pause for a second to allow the crowd to ooh and ahh, and proceeded slam Hill down hard onto the canvas allowing the Minnesota native to escape the submission.

From there it was downhill fast for Hill as Wiuff pinned Bill against the cage and proceeded to slice open Hill’s head with punches and elbows. As the round came to an end, Hill got up from the small pool of blood that had begun to collect on the mat beneath his head, and walk over to his corner where the doctors proceeded to check the severity of his cuts. After a few seconds of deliberation it was ruled that Hill would not be allowed to continue and Wiuff was given the victory and the belt via TKO after Round 1.

Wiuff continues to look very good at 205lbs and after continued training with Horn in Utah it might not be long before Travis returns to join Jeremy in the UFC or heads overseas to a company looking to add a strong, reliable presence to their light-heavyweight ranks.

The show’s other two undercard title matches couldn’t have been more the opposite. In the evening’s first title match, extremely impressive ATT Olympia heavyweight Fabiano Schrener defeated an uninspired Aaron Brink for the ISKA-MMA Americas Heavyweight Championship in just 50 seconds. Fabiano and Brink locked up shortly after the opening bell rang and after some scrambling for position on the ground, ended up back on their feet where Schrener locked on a guillotine choke and pulled guard to finish Aaron off in quick fashion.

Things weren’t so fast and easy for the night’s lightest title match as Team Extreme’s Roger Huerta, a last minute replacement for Tony Fryklund, defeated a very tough “Bad” Brad Blackburn of ATT Olympia/Victory Athletics via TKO at 3:19 of Round 3 for the ISKA-MMA Welterweight Championship.

Huerta, normally a lightweight, fought at 170lbs due getting the fight on just a few day’s notice and went toe to toe with Blackburn throughout the first two rounds of the fight. Both fighters exchanged solid strikes standing with the slight edge going to Blackburn due to Huerta looking a little rusty after a four month layoff. When it came to grappling however Huerta showed why he’s one the fastest rising young American fighters on the scene by slamming Brad multiple times to the crowd’s delight, conversely avoiding damage on the ground, and attempting multiple submissions.

In the third round Huerta stepped it up a notch and took down Blackburn immediately and proceeded to mount and rain down shots to Brad’s face. Blackburn showed heart and true warrior’s spirit, as he never gave up while desperately trying to escape Roger’s relentless assault, but in the end Blackburn’s corner could take no more and threw in the towel. With the win Huerta claimed the first of what should be many title belts to come in his very promising career.

In other notable action, UFC vet Jay Hieron, now of Marc Laimon’s Cobra Kai Jiu-Jitsu in Las Vegas, took a unanimous decision from Pat Healy. Hieron showed why he has fought in the UFC by looking impressive in the first two rounds of the fight, effectively mixing up strikes, slams, and the ground game before fending off a late surge from Healy in the third round.

Fellow UFC veteran “Mr. International” Shonie Carter also pulled off a unanimous decision victory over former heavyweight Josh “Bring The Pain” Haynes in a fight at 205lbs. Carter’s veteran skills allowed him to land more strikes and stay in dominant position throughout the majority the three round fight. Haynes looked good coming down in weight and after further seasoning could become a solid contender in the light-heavyweight division.

Finally, Reno’s own Richard Montoya, representing the American Kickboxing Academy, defeated Chris Kiever of Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance via TKO in the evening’s biggest comeback. Montoya, whose ground game has been criticized in the past, looked to be in trouble early against Kiever, and managed to stave off no less than half a dozen rear naked choke attempts before mounting Kiever and finishing him off with only 11 seconds remaining in the first round.

Full Event Results:

Chris Botello defeated Steven Rivenbark via TKO (Referee Stoppage) at 1:12 of Round 1
Richard Montoya defeated Chris Kiever via TKO (Referee Stoppage) at 4:49 of Round 1
Jeremy Peterson defeated Rocky Batastini via TKO (Referee Stoppage) at 3:40 of Round 1
Jay Hieron defeated Pat Healy via Unanimous Decision
Shonie Carter defeated Josh Haynes via Unanimous Decision
Fabiano Schrener defeated Aaron Brink via Submission (Guillotine Choke) at :50 of Round 1
Roger Huerta defeated Brad Blackburn via TKO (Corner Threw in the Towel) at 3:19 of Round 3
Travis Wiuff defeated Bill Hill via TKO (Doctor Stoppage Due to Cuts) at 5:00 of Round 1