In July, after weeks of speculation and denials by the fight promotion, the UFC announced that it had been sold to WME-IMG for a staggering $4 billion.
Featherweight champion Conor McGregor felt secure in his place within the company under the previous owners, Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta , but isn’t sure about his standing with the new buyers.
McGregor avenged his only UFC loss on Saturday at UFC 202 by defeating Nate Diaz via majority decision in the fight card’s main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The Fertitta’s were not in attendance.
“I’m upset that Lorenzo (Fertitta) and them weren’t there. I know that was his last day a few days ago, but I was expecting Lorenzo and the family to come out for it,” said McGregor in his backstage interview following the pay-per-view event.
“The Notorious” isn’t sure if he’ll fight interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo next or meet Diaz in a trilogy fight.
“The belt situation is lingering. I’ve got to talk,” he said. “I don’t even know — I’m speaking to new people now, so I don’t know. I’ve got to talk because there’s a lot of options, some might not be in this sport, so we’ll see.
“I’ve got to sit down and see what piece of the pie they’re offering me now and see where I go from there.”