(Click on the fight below and then scroll down to see in-fight live stats and full results, courtesy of Fight Analytics. The first UFC on ESPN 5: Covington vs. Lawler bout from Newark, New Jersey, is scheduled to begin on Saturday, Aug. 3, at 12 p.m. ET / 9 a.m. PT.)
The Ultimate Fighting Championship this week returns to Newark, New Jersey, for UFC on ESPN 5: Covington vs. Lawler. The fight card is topped by a pivotal welterweight showdown between former teammates Colby Covington and Robbie Lawler.
Covington and Lawler were at one time American Top Team stablemates, but Lawler has since moved on and that doesn’t sit well with Covington. What really doesn’t sit well with Covington, however, is the idea that he could lose a promised shot at the belt currently wrapped around Kamaru Usman’s waist should he lose to Lawler.
Lawler declined to interact in Covington’s trash-take antics, instead focused on getting his career back on track. Having lost three of his last four bouts, Lawler could take a huge step back toward title contention should he derail Covington’s aspirations.
UFC on ESPN 5 also features a true fight for the fans co-main event, as old schoolers Jim Miller and Clay Guida face each other in a respectful showdown for O.G. bragging rights.
Check out the MMAWeekly.com Rumors page for more scheduled events and rumored fight cards.
UFC on ESPN 5: Covington vs. Lawler results from Newark
UFC on ESPN 5: Covington vs. Lawler full results
Main Card (ESPN)
- Colby Covington def. Robbie Lawler by unanimous decision (50-44, 50-45, 50-45)
- Jim Miller def. Clay Guida by technical submission (guillotine choke) at 0:58, R1
- Nasrat Haqparast def. Joaquim Silva by knockout (punch) at 0:35, R2
- Gerald Meerschaert def. Trevin Giles by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:49, R3
- Scott Holtzman def. Dong Hyun Ma by TKO (doctor’s stoppage) at 5:00, R2
- Kennedy Nzechukwu def. Darko Stosic by unanimous decision (29-26, 28-27, 28-27)
- Mickey Gall def. Salim Touahri by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Antonina Shevchenko def. Lucie Pudilova by technical submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:20, R2
- Matt Schnell def. Jordan Espinosa by submission (triangle choke) at 1:23, R1
- Lauren Murphy def. Mara Romero Borella by TKO (knees and elbows) at 1:46, R3
- Claudio Silva def. Cole Williams by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:35, R1
- Miranda Granger def. Hannah Goldy by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)