Oliveira appeared to have Chandler completely compromised early in the first round as he took his back and searched for chokes before Chandler immediately transitioned into an advantageous ground position.
Once they went to the feet Chandler dropped Oliveira with a heavy punch and followed up with strikes on the ground. It actually looked like the fight was seconds from being stopped, but Oliveira recovered and maintained until the end of the first round.
With all of the momentum behind Chandler, nobody could predict the beginning of the second round to play out the way that it did.
Oliveira almost instantly dropped Chandler with a vicious left hook and Chandler attempted to evade and manage.
He got out of Oliveira’s reach and ran away from Oliveira, but the new champion stalked Chandler and dropped him with another shot and followed up with decisive shots that made the ref call the fight 19 seconds into the second round.
Oliveira not only became the fighter with the most amount of fights before winning a title with 28, he also passed Donald Cerrone for the most finishes in UFC history.
UFC 262 results: Beneil Dariush gets unanimous decision nod against Tony Ferguson
Dariush outstruck Ferguson on the feet as he frequently connected with strikes. However the majority of Dariush’s success came from the grappling department.
Despite several moments where Ferguson appeared to have Dariush in a compromising position where ‘El Cucuy’ could potentially find a submission, It would not be outlandish to say Dariush dominated Ferguson on the ground.
As a result of his co-main event victory, Dariush is sure to be propelled into the title picture, and he’ll most likely debut in the top five when the rankings come out Monday as well.
UFC 262 results: Edson Barboza shines with TKO win in slugfest with Shane Burgos
Edson Barboza started off UFC 262 with a bang as he put on a wonderful performance that resulted in a TKO win for Barboza.
Barboza started the fight off by chopping at Burgos’ legs with vicious leg kicks. He immediately forced Burgos to monitor Barboza’s attacks to the leg which enabled Barboza to frequently and successfully land shots to the body and head.
It appeared as if Barboza was wobbling Burgos with shots every combination Barboza threw, but Burgos frequently responded with affirming facial expressions and gestures that indicated he was coherent and able to continue.
However in the third round, Barboza hit Burgos with a combination ending in a right hook. Burgos initially reacted as if he absorbed the punches and was able to continue, but bizarrely enough, it was a delayed reaction.
Burgos proceeded to stumble backwards, impactfully falling against the cage where Barboza capitalized and hit Burgos with a couple of punches on the ground before the referee stopped the fight.
With this victory, Barboza advanced to 2-1 in the featherweight division and is guaranteed to move up in the featherweight rankings after defeating the no. 9 ranked Burgos.
UFC 262 Results
UFC 262 Main Card Results
- Main Event: Charles Oliveira def. Michael Chandler by KO (punches) at 0:19, R2
- Co-Main Event: Beneil Dariush def. Tony Ferguson by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Rogerio Bontorin def. Matt Schnell by unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Viviane Araujo unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)
- Edson Barboza def. Shane Burgos by KO (punches) at 1:15, R3
UFC Vegas 262 Prelim Results
- Andre Muniz def. Jacare Souza by submission (armbar) at 3:59, R1
- Lando Vannata def. Mike Grundy by split decision (29–28, 27–30, 30–27)
- Jordan Wright def. Jamie Pickett by TKO (knee and punches) at 1:04, R1
- Andrea Lee def. Antonina Shevchenko by submission (triangle/armbar) at 4:52, R2
UFC Vegas 262 Early Prelim Results
- Priscila Cachoeira def. Gina Mazany by TKO (punches) at 4:51, R2
- Tucker Lutz def. Kevin Aguilar by unanimous decision (30–27, 29–28, 29–28)
- Christos Giagos def. Sean Soriano by submission (brabo choke) at 0:59, R2