UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero 2 is a stacked card that features middleweight champion Robert Whittaker finally making the first defense of his belt nearly a year after winning it, if his opponent, Yoel Romero, makes weight.
Whittaker won the interim UFC middleweight title by defeating Romero at UFC 213 in July of 2018. He was initially hoping to unify the title with the winner of the UFC 217 bout between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre, but St-Pierre took the belt from Bisping and then vacated it because of health reasons.
Meanwhile, Yoel Romero knocked out Luke Rockhold to earn his shot at the belt, despite missing weight for their interim title fight.
Whittaker was first to the scale on Friday morning in Chicago, weighing 185 pounds. Romero, however, was another story altogether.
Romero was the final fighter to weigh-in, stepping on the scale with about 10 minutes left in the two-hour block. Having a history of trouble making weight, Romero weighed 186 pounds, a pound over the limit for a middleweight title fight.
According to the rules in Illinois, however, Romero was given an additional two hours to make weight.
MMAWeekly.com will provide updates on Romero’s status as information becomes available.
The UFC 225 fight card is stacked from top to bottom, with former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos squaring off with Colby Covington for the interim UFC welterweight championship in the night’s co-main event.
Dos Anjos made it to the scale ahead of Covington, but both weighed 169 pounds.
Other bouts include Holly Holm vs. Megan Anderson in a pivotal women’s featherweight bout on the main card, Alistair Overeem vs. Curtis Blaydes at the top of the prelims on FS1, and Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith and Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis on the Early Prelims on UFC Fight Pass.
Yoel Romero Misses Weight at UFC 225 Official Weigh-in
UFC 225 Results: Whittaker vs. Romero 2 Weigh-in Results
Main Card (at 10 p.m. ET on Pay-Per-View)
- Robert Whittaker (185) vs. Yoel Romero (186)
- Rafael dos Anjos (169) vs. Colby Covington (169)
- Holly Holm (146) vs. Megan Anderson (146)
- Andrei Arlovski (249) vs. Tai Tuivasa (261)
- CM Punk (169) vs. Mike Jackson (170.5)
Prelims (at 8 p.m. ET on FS1)
- Alistair Overeem (244) vs. Curtis Blaydes (254)
- Cláudia Gadelha (116) vs. Carla Esparza (116)
- Ricardo Lamas (145) vs. Mirsad Bektic (146)
- Rashad Coulter (247) vs. Chris de la Rocha (261)
Early Prelims (at 6:15 p.m. ET on UFC Fight Pass)
- Rashad Evans (205) vs. Anthony Smith (206)
- Joseph Benavidez (125.5) vs. Sergio Pettis (126)
- Clay Guida (154) vs. Charles Oliveira (155)
- Mike Santiago (145) vs. Dan Ige (146)
Tune in to MMAWeekly.com for full UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero 2 Live Results on Saturday, June 9. The first bout is slated to begin at 6:15 p.m. ET / 3:15 p.m. PT.