(James Goyder is the owner/editor of AsianMMA.com)
Tang Kai feels he should be ranked in the top five at featherweight and the Chinese fighter demonstrated why tonight. He demolished Yoon Chang Min at ONE: ‘NextGen’ Part’ II with a left hook in the opening round doing the damage.
Kai established his jab early on in the contest while Yoon looked like a man who knew he needed to get the fight down. Unfortunately for the Korean his takedown attempts were all stuffed and he was clearly no match for his opponent in the striking exchanges.
The warning signs were there as Kai stunned Yoon with a left hook midway through the round. He was able to repeat the trick but this time there was no way back for the Korean who was badly hurt and clearly in no state to recover.
The finish came at the 4:03 mark and made it five wins out of five for Kai in ONE Championship. He improves to 13-2 and is within his rights to call for a title shot, even if he probably needs to crack the top five first.
Yoon drops to 5-2 after suffering the second loss of his ONE Championship career. The Korean submission specialist has now been stopped with strikes twice in his last three fights.
Earlier in the night Hiroyuki Tetsuka (10-4) finished Agilan Thani (10-6) in the third round of their catchweight contest. The Japanese fighter was on the wrong end of some slams in the early rounds but finished the fight with punches late in the third.
ONE: ‘NextGen’ Part II, November 12th, Singapore
- Muay Thai: Rittewada Petchyindee def. Saemapetch Fairtex via TKO (Cut) at 2:10 of round 2
- Tang Kai def. Yoon Chang Min via KO (Punch) at 4:03 of round 1
- Kickboxing: Dovydas Rimkus def. Zhang Chunyu via Decision (Majority)
- Kickboxing: Jo Nattawut defeats Yurik Davtyan via knockout at 2:50 of round one
- Hiroyuki Tetsuka defeats Agilan Thani via TKO at 3:45 of round three
- Muay Thai: Han Zi Hao defeats Victor Pinto via Decision (Unanimous)