by Jeremy Luchau (Courtesy of Palace Fighting Championship)
Shawn Bias is on his way to making a full recovery from injuries allegedly sustained in a recent struggle with Oroville police.

The former Palace Fighting Championship featherweight champion was released from the Oroville Hospital on Wednesday and spoke about his incident for the first time.

Bias allegedly ran from officers outside an¬ apartment complex in Oroville at about 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 20. Oroville police were called to investigate a disturbance and upon making contact with the 22-year-old mixed martial artist, Bias reportedly ran and ignored orders from police to stop or be shot by a taser.

The Chico Enterprise Recorder reported that Bias was eventually caught by two officers and was tased a total of five times according to Oroville Police Chief Kirk Trostle. Some of the tasings were “drive stuns” which involves the taser making direct contact with the victim.

Bias was restrained and taken to the Oroville Hospital where he was treated for a heart attack and went into kidney failure.

“There was a lot of unnecessary tasing and use of force against me. Someone with not as much will or training might have died,” Bias said. “A parent could be mourning over their child right now. The police didn’t know I was a cage fighter and that shouldn’t matter. They knew nothing about me.”

Bias was reportedly under the influence of oxycontin and cocaine.

“I dabbled here and there with some drugs and did have a problem a while ago,” Bias said. “But my family and I, before this incident, had planned to check me in somewhere and get me complete again. I didn’t want to live my life that way.”

Bias denies several different reports in the media about his incident.

“I know George [Adkins] was out there doing some talking and I wasn’t sure where he got certain stuff. George is not a member of my family and he isn’t close to my family,” Bias said. “I would hope people would disregard the things that were said and written. I don’t want anyone telling my story.”

What Bias does want is to rewrite a story with a much more positive image.

“This whole thing has been very emotional for me and my family,” Bias said. “This has definitely inspired me to be a better person and a much tougher person. When you almost die, you learn not to take life for granted. I need to get out there and give 110 percent all day… even if it’s just walking out to get the mail.”

The first steps will be recovering from his injuries and kidney failure and then help with his drug “dabbling”.

“We are going to do whatever it takes to help Shawn,” manager Richard Goodman said. “He wasn’t a regular drug user and this was something that I don’t even think happened often. We are moving him back with his parents so that his parents can guide him back on to the right track.”

And Goodman expects Shawn to be back in MMA action.

“I personally believe that he will be back. It might take six to eight months recovery and training, but some time next year he will be back. And of course at the PFC that’s the only place that he wants to be,” Goodman said. “I think he will be better than he has ever been. This was a wake up call to Shawn and I think he will take it in the right direction. He will take it to where he can everyone knows what he can do. Maybe dedication was a slight problem.”

Bias believes that MMA, its fans and fighters helped get him through.

“I was released from the hospital on Wednesday, but a few days after I became coherent I was walking. I have that fighter heart,” Bias said. “I want to thank everyone in the fight world and fans and friends. I really want to thank Christian [Printup], and the whole PFC for caring about me and not forgetting about me. I’d also like to thank Sherdog. All the support means a lot and I think it shows in my recovery. I couldn’t do this on my own.”

“At this time we are happy that Shawn is making a good recovery. Our thoughts and prayers remain with him and his family during this trying time,” Palace Fighting Championship President Printup said.

On Jan. 18, Bias (12-6) lost his featherweight title to Oakldale’s Art Arciniega (6-1) by submission at 2:07 in the fourth round.

There were early reports that the fight might have played a part in his condition, but those rumors were unfounded.

“I feel bad about my last performance. I was sick, but I came and I fought. I fought my butt off and as hard as I could,” Bias said. “But he was the better man that night. He has the belt around his waist now and he deserves it”

But Bias makes a promise.

“I will be back. My fights will be way more exciting. I won’t waste any more time and nothing will take me away from training,” Bias said. “I hope to be training soon. I believe my kidneys will be better within two months.”