Robbie Lawler vs. Johny Hendricks III ‘Makes Sense’ to Dana White

January 2, 2015

UFC President Dana White on Thursday confirmed what Rory MacDonald wanted to avoid. The welterweight standout has to wait his turn.

During a scrum at the UFC 182 media functions in Las Vegas, White said that a trilogy fight between 170-pound champion Robbie Lawler and former champ Johny Hendricks is being planned likely for later this year.

“Robbie and Rory just fought,” White said. “We just feel like the trilogy makes sense.”

Lawler and Hendricks fought a rematch for the UFC welterweight title at UFC 181, and Lawler exacted his revenge from his previous loss to Hendricks by earning a split decision over his opponent to earn the belt.

MacDonald had been considered the No. 1 contender and assumed he was next in line after Lawler’s win. But in the days that followed UFC 181, he received the bad news that he would have to wait it out a bit longer so that a rubber match can take place between the new champ and former titleholder.

In receiving the news, MacDonald took it in stride.

“It’s all good,” the fighter recently told UFC Tonight. “I’m just gonna light up whoever is next.”

White did not reveal a date and venue for the Lawler-Hendricks bout, but is expected to do so in the coming months.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram