Riki Fukuda Stops Hee Seung Kim in Second Round at Road FC Korea – 1

January 18, 2014

Riki FukudaRoad FC Korea – 1 was the promotion’s first card of 2014 and saw UFC vet Riki Fukuda take on Hee Seung Kim in the main event at the Hilton Convention Centre in Seoul. The Japanese fighter scored a second-round stoppage victory.

Fukuda got the better of the first round, but couldn’t find a finish despite getting Kim down and taking his back. The fighter who was cut from the UFC after failing a post-fight drug test stepped it up in the second and put the Korean away with a barrage of ground and pound.

The win came after Fukuda took Kim down and punished him with punches. It was the Japanese fighter’s first since his UFC release and takes his record to 20-7, while Kim drops to 6-2 after tasting defeat for the first time since he was submitted by journeyman Jae Young Kim at Road FC 6.

While Kim’s career trajectory dipped in the wake of this defeat, fellow Korean A Sol Kwon got back on track with a submission win in the co-main event. His match-up with debutant Mostafa Abdollahi had all the makings of a mismatch, but the lightweight will have been relieved to secure a first-round submission win after missing weight.

Kwon lost 50-percent of his purse and went into the fight knowing he would be deducted two points per round after coming in a kilo overweight. The points penalty proved to be academic as he was able to finish the fight with a rear naked choke early in the opening round.

Abdollahi is best known for his appearance on season two of The Challenger, Muay Thai’s answer to The Ultimate Fighter, and the Iranian debutant paid the price after slipping over early on in the fight and ending up on his back.

Kwon was clinical, moving into mount, taking Abdollahi’s back and softening him up with ground and pound before sinking in a rear naked choke. The win was his first since finishing a two-year stint in military service and improved his record to 17-8, while the Iranian newcomer drops to 0-1.

It was also a good night for up-and-coming Korean featherweight Yun Jun Lee, who stopped Won Gi Kim early in the first round with a barrage of strikes that culminated in a knee to the midsection to take his record to 5-2, while subjecting his opponent to a loss that leaves him at 1-4-1.

Slightly less predictable was Doo Jae Jeong’s first-round finish of Yong Jae Lee. The former was a journeyman with a distinctly average record, while the latter had held his own among some of the top lightweights in the region, but the form book went out the window here.

Jeong registered a third win in four fights by putting Lee down with a right uppercut in the opening round. The win improved his mediocre record a notch to 6-12, while his opponent drops to 7-5 after a second successive defeat.

In the opening bout, middleweights Uh Jin Jeon and Sang Il Ahn went toe to toe and threw heavy leather for the better part of three rounds. Both men had their moments but the fight was settled in brutal style in the third round.

Ahn caught Jeong in the Thai clinch and pummelled him with unanswered knees and the occasional elbow for a third-round TKO stoppage, which takes him to 5-4, while his vanquished opponent drops to 1-2.

(Follow @JamesGoyder on Twitter)

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.