One FC 13 Results: Koji Oishi Retains Belt, KOs Honorio Banario in Rematch

December 6, 2013

Koji OishiMANILA – Koji Oishi spoiled what was otherwise a perfect night for Team Lakay when he stopped Honorio Banario in the third round of their featherweight title rematch in the main event of ONE FC: Moment of Truth on Friday in Manila.

Three of his teammates had all registered wins earlier in the night, but Banario could not complete the clean sweep. After a tentative opening round in which Oishi appeared very reluctant to engage the Japanese fighter connected with two hard left hooks in the second stanza that left the challenger looking dazed.

The warning signs were there for Banario, who was stopped with a thunderous overhand right the last time these two met, but he failed to heed them. In round three, Oishi stepped in and landed a hard straight right hand that knocked the Filipino backwards. He followed up with a right hook that left him flat on his back and helpless to defend.

Oishi got a couple more shots in for good measure before referee Yuji Shimada stepped in to save Banario. The win sees the Pancrase veteran defend his ONE FC belt for the first time and move up to 25-9-10, while the Filipino former champion drops to 8-3.

The co-main event ended just as decisively, but this time the Filipino fans were smiling as Kevin Belingon handed David Santacana the first defeat of his career with a brutal knockout that left the Spaniard lying face down, unconscious on the canvass.

Santacana came into the fight with a reputation as a submission specialist, but the Spaniard was content to exchange strikes as both fighters landed with hard low kicks. The fight came to a dramatic finish when Belingon closed the distance and landed two left hooks in the clinch, the second of which connected around the ear area and saw his previously undefeated opponent drop like a stone.

Santacana falls to 9-1 after finding himself on the losing side for the first time in his career, while Belingon improved to 12-3 and cemented his status as one of ONE FC’s leading 135-pounders and a potential future title contender.

South African Vuyisile Colossa was fighting just a few hours after finding out about the death of Nelson Mandela, and on an emotional night the former Muay Thai world champion scored the most impressive win of his career, beating Caros Fodor by unanimous decision.

The Strikeforce and UFC veteran ended up in a striking battle as he struggled to put Colossa on his back. Fodor found himself on the receiving end of a barrage of knees and elbows, as his Hong Kong based opponent dominated him in the clinch.

To his credit, Fodor kept coming and came close with a couple of guillotine attempts, but Colossa controlled the stand-up exchanges to secure a unanimous decision win, which takes him to 7-4, while Fodor drops to 8-4.

There were also decision wins for Team Lakay fighters Geje Eustaquio and Eduard Folayang with the former outpointing the previously undefeated Eugene Toquero and the latter putting in a much improved performance to beat Vincent Latoel.

Dae Hwan Kim got his ONE FC career off to the best possible start with a rear naked choke win over Thanh Vu in the second round of a highly entertaining fight, while Paul Cheng forced Alain Ngalani to tap out with seconds remaining in the first round of their heavyweight match-up.

On the undercard, bantamweight Koetsu Okazaki, flyweight Ruel Catalan, and featherweight Herbert Burns all scored wins.

This was ONE FC’s final show of 2013 and events in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Cambodia, Hong Kong, and the Philippines are reportedly in the works for 2014.

(Follow @JamesGoyder on Twitter | Photo courtesy of One FC)

Like on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.