Michael Bisping Shoots Down Rumored Nick Diaz Fight; Close to Retiring from MMA

April 26, 2018

Michael Bisping isn’t fighting Nick Diaz or anyone else from the sound of it.

The former UFC middleweight champion is still being called out at an astronomical rate, but rumors surfaced just recently that Bisping was possibly negotiating for a fight against Diaz, who was cleared to return to action by USADA after missing out on several drug tests.

While that might be a fun fight to watch, Bisping says it’s absolutely not true because not only has he not agreed to face Diaz, it’s likely he’s stepped inside the Octagon for the final time already.

“No, I’m not fighting Nick Diaz at all, it’s total bulls–t. I haven’t spoken to the UFC about anything,” Bisping said on his “Believe You Me” podcast this week.

“I’m probably retired; I just haven’t made it official.”

Bisping did recount a story from more than a year ago where he just so happened to run into Diaz in a New York City night club and they talked about the possibility of fighting each other on the most cordial of terms.

Still, nothing came of that conversation, and that’s the only time Bisping says he’s ever even been approached about potentially facing Diaz.

Michael Bisping UFC 217 post“So here’s the deal with Nick Diaz — a while ago, it was after I first won the belt or after I beat [Dan] Henderson and I was in New York doing some PR work for the UFC, actually, and I went to a club with a friend, a couple of friends, and lo and behold there was Nick Diaz,” Bisping explained. “Great guy, we hung out, we had some drinks, we had a good time and he suggested that we should fight each other at 170 [pounds]. I was like well I can’t make 170 so we were talking about a catch weight. I said Nick I would love to [fight you], you’ve got a huge name in this sport, it was a very pleasant conversation.

“There was no nastiness, no bitching. I think more than anything we were just having fun with it and it never materialized into any actual real discussion of a fight.”

As much as a fight with Diaz might have interested Bisping at one time, the veteran fighter is likely going to call it a career rather than take one more fight in the UFC.

TRENDING > UFC 225 Athletes Warned About Marijuana Usage Due to Illinois Commission Rules

Bisping has been flirting with retirement since his loss to Georges St-Pierre last year and now it appears closer than ever that he’s ready to hang up his gloves and move on to the next phase in his career.

“I don’t know where these rumors started, I don’t know who started it, but it’s bulls–t. I haven’t heard a single thing. UFC haven’t reached out. Management haven’t reached out. No one’s said anything. No word whatsoever,” Bisping stated.

“As I said, I haven’t made my mind up completely, but I’m very, very close to retirement.”