A landmark champion vs. champion bout between UFC featherweight titleholder Conor McGregor and lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos, as well as Holly Holm‘s first bantamweight title defense, against Miesha Tate, are reportedly going to headline a revamped UFC 197 on March 5 in Las Vegas.
While UFC officials have yet to confirm the bouts or the event, it wouldn’t be a stretch given recent developments.
During a Wednesday night appearance on UFC Tonight, UFC president Dana White did not confirm either bout, but hinted at both.
“Conor has said he’d like to win the 155-poundbelt, and fight four times a year, and defend both belts. If anybody can do it, Conor McGregor can. He’s done everything he’s said he would. I’m interested,” White said of a potential McGregor vs. dos Anjos bout.
Commenting on Holm’s status following a recent contract renegotiation, the brash UFC boss shifted gears on the champ having to grant Ronda Rousey an immediate rematch, saying, ““Holly Holm will fight before she fights Ronda.”
Holm supplanted Tate in the fight with Rousey at UFC 193, jumping her in the line after Tate had been promised a title shot. So Holm vs. Tate is the common sense bout to make with the Rousey rematch being put off.
UFC 197 had originally been in the works for Rio de Janeiro in March, but those plans recently underwent a shift. Believe it or not, Anderson Silva was the person to tip everyone off to a possible change.
“(The original plan was) to have me fight in Brazil against I don’t know who,” Silva said during a recent conference call. “But with this situation going on in Brazil, economically, the UFC decided to abort this event for now.”
Silva will instead face Michael Bisping at UFC Fight Night 83 on Feb. 27 in London, while it appears that UFC 197 will move to Las Vegas.