McGee Submits Jensen, Lawlor Dominates on UFC 121 Prelims

October 24, 2010

The night started off rough for “Ultimate Fighter” season 11 winner Court McGee, but it ended in a much sweeter way as he submitted Ryan Jensen in the third round with an arm triangle choke to pick up his first win since his victory on the reality show a few months back.

Court McGee and Ryan Jensen at UFC 121

Court McGee cracks Ryan Jensen at UFC 121.

Jensen looked confident in the opening minutes of the fight, lighting McGee up on the feet, hitting big punches and showing off his size and reach to the smaller fighter.  In between the first and second rounds, McGee’s trainer John Hackelman could be heard telling his fighter that cardio was going to be his biggest weapon going forward.

Hackelman knows his stuff.

McGee continued to press the action in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds with Jensen losing steam with each minute the fight drew on.  Finally getting the fight to the ground in the last minutes of the third round, McGee moved fluidly inside his opponent’s defense, and got the mount as it was the beginning of the end for Jensen.

Locking on an arm triangle, McGee lunged forward with all his weight while still locked in the mount, and Jensen had enough and tapped out.  The fight keeps McGee on the right track, and yet another victory for a former “Ultimate Fighter” winner.

Tom Lawlor’s strategy for Patrick Cote was very simple: take the fight to the ground and work the Canadian over.  The game plan worked to perfection.

Patrick Cote and Tom Lawlor at UFC 121

Patrick Cote and Tom Lawlor at UFC 121.

The fight barely made it through a few seconds before Lawlor had Cote on the mat as he started to pound away, keeping the former middleweight title contender pinned down against the cage looking for air.  The former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor kept a busy assault on Cote throughout the first round and almost caught an arm triangle, but the Canadian illegally grabbed the cage to roll out of the hold.

Referee John McCarthy missed the cage grab from Cote so no warning or point deduction happened, but Cote was simply being overmatched much the same way for the entirety of the fight.  Lawlor used a workmanlike style to put Cote on his back, and like a turtle rolled over on its shell, the Canadian was simply helpless from the bottom.

Peppering away at the head and body, Lawlor punished Cote for the full 15 minutes to pick up a unanimous decision win, stopping his two fight skid in the Octagon.  For Cote, the loss equals three losses in a row overall, and a very tough past year for the Canadian who underwent two knee surgeries and now two more losses in his last two fights.