by Damon Martin – MMAWeekly.com
As announced earlier on Thursday, Scott Jorgensen will get a chance to fight on the upcoming WEC pay-per-view card and try to avenge a loss when he faces Antonio Banuelos on April 24.
Dropping a split decision to Banuelos in 2009, Jorgensen has been on a tear ever since. He’s won three fights in a row, including his 31-second destruction of Chad George earlier this month.
With bantamweight title talk still looming in the air, Jorgensen is happy to let his fights do the talking for him when it comes to title contention, but he’s ready for a shot at redemption against Banuelos.
“All the talk about title shots and all that stuff is very distracting, I’ll get my title shot just by winning my fights,” Jorgensen said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com on Thursday. “I’m close now, and I know that.
“I’m excited to get this chance to fight Antonio again. I feel like I won that first fight, and I know a lot of my fans do (too). I’m excited to go back out there and prove that I’m a better fighter.”
Not necessarily gunning for revenge, Jorgensen understands the challenge that Banuelos presents. He’s ready to do whatever is necessary to win. That said; he’s not leaving this one up to the judges.
“He’s considered to be up there, his name has been mentioned as one of the top guys, on the outside fringe being in the mix. It’s going to be a one-sided affair this time,” stated Jorgensen.
Will there be a totally different strategy this time around? Jorgensen contends that the last fight wasn’t bad game planning; it came down to letting the wrong emotions seep in and that won’t happen again.
“My attitude towards this fight’s the same as my attitude’s always been. Go out there and dominate. The difference is I’m not going to get mad, I’m going to go out there and have fun,” said Jorgensen. “Every time I’ve done that, I’ve demolished people.”
Jorgensen, following a short promotional trip with TapouT, will return home to Idaho to get back in camp for his fight with Banuelos.