Jon Jones Will Not Face Formal Probation Violation Due to Traffic Incident

February 8, 2016

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will be back before the court in Albuquerque, N.M., this week after being cited for driving without a license, no proof of registration, and no proof of insurance. He will not, however, face a formal probation violation.

Jones was stopped on Jan. 31 and received the citations, but a representative of his Public Relations firm, EAG Sports, told MMAJunkie.com on Monday that he had been pulled over for speeding and was fully licensed and insured.

RELATED > Jon Jones Due Back in Court, Probation Could Be At Risk

“He will be in traffic court on Wednesday like everyone else that gets a ticket. He is fully licensed and insured,” EAG Sports CEO Denise White said.

Jon JonesAlthough Jones could face revocation of his probation for any violation of the law, Kayla Anderson, Public Information Officer for the Second Judicial District Attorney’s Office in New Mexico, told MMAWeekly.com on Monday afternoon that wasn’t going to happen.

“Our understanding (at the DA’s office) is that this (Jones’ traffic violations) will be dealt with by a sanction at the probation level, and we will not be filing a formal probation violation.”

That’s likely good news for Jones and the UFC, as Jones is scheduled to challenge current champion Daniel Cormier for the light heavyweight title in the UFC 197 main event on April 23 in Las Vegas.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram