Jon Jones Appears in Court, Set to Meet with UFC Brass

April 28, 2015

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones on Tuesday made his first court appearance since being accused of causing a car accident on Sunday and then fleeing the scene.

Jones has been charged with a felony for leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death or bodily harm.

He went before Judge Maria Dominguez at the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court in Albuquerque, N.M., but did not enter a plea, according to a report by

RELATED > Charge Against Jon Jones Elevated to Felony

Jones remains free on the $2,500 bond that he paid Monday night. He must follow standard conditions, which include restricting the use of alcohol and drugs. At the request of Jones’ attorney, Vincent Ward, the judge did not put any restrictions on Jones’ travel, as long as he remains in contact with his attorney.

Jon Jones UFC 87_9111-Saturate-750No future court dates have been set, as the district attorney must first review the case and determine whether or not to move forward. If the DA pursues the case, it would go before a grand jury. The DA has 60 days to make a decision.

Jones is accused of running a red light and smashing into another vehicle, which in turn hit another vehicle, and then fleeing the scene of the accident. The driver of the initial car that Jones is accused of hitting was a pregnant woman that suffered a fractured arm and wrist.

Due to the injury, the charge against jones is a felony count of Knowingly Leaving the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Great Bodily Harm or Death.

After fleeing the accident scene, Jones remained unreachable by the Albuquerque Police Department for more than 24 hours. He turned himself in without incident on Monday after police issued a warrant for his arrest.

Jones was released later that night after posting a $2,500 bond.

He is currently scheduled to defend his UFC light heavyweight championship against Anthony Johnson in the UFC 187 main event on May 23 in Las Vegas.

Remaining free on bond with no travel restrictions, Jones would be available to fight. UFC officials, however, have not yet commented on whether or not the fight will move forward as planned.

A UFC representative confirmed to that company president Dana White, CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, and COO Lawrence Epstein flew to Albuquerque on Tuesday to have a face-to-face meeting with Jones. first reported news of company officials making the trip.

No further word is expected from the UFC until some point after the meeting.

Follow on FacebookTwitter and Instagram