FS1 Talk Show Host’s Intel Says Mayweather vs. McGregor is Going to Happen

May 24, 2016

Nobody really believes it is going to happen, right? With Conor McGregor under contract with the UFC, nobody really believes that the UFC featherweight champion would step out of his MMA comfort zone and into the squared circle to box one of the greatest champion’s in that sport’s history.

Nobody really believed it, but Floyd Mayweather, the retired world champion in question, has been fueling the rumors himself, admitting that while he and McGregor haven’t talked, he believes the fight is going to happen. Apparently, he’s going to will it into existence just by talking about it.

McGregor hasn’t exactly shuttered the idea, but in true McGregor fashion isn’t about to box Mayweather unless it breaks records, which it likely would.

“I hear the boy talking. The leak came out, it was him that leaked the rumor. He gets $100 million, I get $7 million. That’s a pay cut for me. I don’t take pay cuts. I thought boxing was where the money was at. $7 million is absolutely laughable,” McGregor said in an ESPN interview.

RELATED > Conor McGregor Video: Floyd Mayweather Needs Me; It’s Me Who is in Control Here

FOX Sports 1 talk show host Colin Cowherd, on his show on Monday, said that, despite what McGregor is saying, his sources indicate that the fight is going to happen. He’s so sure of his sources that he has booked a couple of rooms in Las Vegas for the September fight.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor Fight Poster CM Mock“My intel is Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call then somebody else sent me something (Sunday) and Saturday. We’ve booked rooms in Vegas… in September,” said Cowherd.

The thing that changed late last week was that, while things got back on track for McGregor and UFC bosses Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta, things didn’t go as smoothly with Nate Diaz, the man the McGregor desperately wants to rematch. So far, the UFC has been unable to put the fight back together after they yanked McGregor and the bout from the UFC 200 fight card over a disagreement with McGregor.

Mayweather is retired, but having finished his career at 49-0 and on a down pay-per-view, at least down for him, doesn’t sit well with “Money.” Rumblings have him wanting to come out of retirement to round out his career with 50 victories, and McGregor makes sense because, although it likely would be a one-sided affair, it would be a major draw on pay-per-view and at the bank.

“Mayweather did have a very bad last pay-per-view gate, 550,000 people. He tries to get two to three million,” Cowherd continued. “So I think this is the most profitable fight for CBS and Mayweather. CBS has been working with Mayweather for years. That’s why his fights are on Showtime, because CBS owns Showtime.

“So (CBS president) Les Moonves and the CBS peeps have decided, ‘let’s talk to the Fox and UFC peeps’ and you’ve got Fox and CBS, you’ve got UFC, you’ve got boxing, you’ve got Floyd, you’ve got Conor. It’s gonna make a lot of money for people.”

Most pundits still take any talk of Mayweather vs. McGregor with a heaping pile of salt grains, so hopefully Cowherd didn’t book his rooms in Vegas under a non-refundable policy.

(Video courtesy of Colin Cowherd | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram