It’s not going to happen at Madison Square Garden as UFC officials had hoped, but it looks like Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones 2 will take place in April.
UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told FOX Sports that he didn’t yet have an exact date or venue, but verified that his promotion was targeting April for Jones’ return shot at the light heavyweight belt.
RELATED > UFC Officially Reinstates Jon Jones
“It’s probably going to happen in April,” White told At The Buzzer. “I don’t have the date or the venue, but April is looking like the month.”
The UFC had been targeting an April date in New York City for the rematch, but that was derailed when legal proceedings were unsuccessful in making that date a reality in the only state that refuses to sanction professional mixed martial arts.
Jones and Cormier met for the first time at UFC 182 in January of 2015. Cormier lost the bout, the only defeat of his career, but things took an interesting twist in the ensuing months.
Jones was arrested for a felony hit-and-run charge in New Mexico in April and stripped of the belt, while his legal proceedings played out. Meanwhile, Cormier won the vacant belt in a battle with Anthony Johnson in May, and then defended it against Alexander Gustafsson in October. Jones subsequently struck a plea deal, which allowed him to avoid any jail time and to get back to work.
So now it appears the two will rematch for the belt the Jones never lost sometime in April, at a location to be announced.