Dana White Says Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Signed for UFC 205

September 7, 2016

An exciting, oft-rumored bout between former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone has been inked for UFC 205 in New York.

The Lawler vs. Cerrone bout was confirmed by UFC president Dana White, who told CBS radio host Anthony Lima that the bout had been put to paper for Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden.

TRENDING > Cris Cyborg: ‘There’s a Novela Between Ronda and I That We Need to Finish’

Donald Cerrone vs Robbie LawlerThe bout with Cerrone will be Lawler’s (27-11, 1 NC) first since Tyron Woodley disrupted an incredible career resurrection. Lawler had been on a five-fight winning streak, which included taking the UFC welterweight championship from Johny Hendricks, and defending it against Rory MacDonald and Carlos Condit.

Woodley upset the apple cart at UFC 201, taking out Lawler just two minutes into the fight.

Cerrone (31-7, 1 NC) had his run to the lightweight champion ended by then-champion Rafael dos Anjos late last year at UFC on FOX 17. Instead of regrouping at 155 pounds, Cerrone moved up to the welterweight division, where he has since looked incredible.

Lawler will be his toughest test yet since jumping to 170 pounds, after rattling off victories over Rick Story, Patrick Cote and Alex Oliveira.

UFC officials have yet to announce a main event or any other bouts for the promotion’s debut event in New York.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram