by M. Robert Hicks (Photos courtesy of Teresa Bergen)
Atlantic City, NJ – On Friday January 19, 2007 Cage Fury Fighting Championship presented Battlegrounds III at The Tropicana in Atlantic City. It was a near capacity crowd that packed into the auditorium. Tito Ortiz, Jenna Jamison, Arturo Gati, and Ray Mercer were in attendance to witness the action packed evening.

Tamdan McCory (Bombsquad) took the NABC Welterweight title against Anthony D’Angelo (United MMA) by referee stoppage due to unanswered strikes at 2:34 of round 1. McCory said, “I kind of got woken up after he caught me in the mouth and I figured it was time to start using some of that wrestling I been learning. I’m trying to mold myself into a striker/grappler. After I started controlling the clinch I felt like I had him.”

Dante Rivera (Team Renzo/Almeida) put Erick Charles (Bombsquad) to sleep in a vicious North-South at 4:51 of round 2 giving him his second middleweight title in four months after he won the USKBA middleweight title this past September.

Deividas Taurosevicius (Panza MMA) successfully submitted UFC veteran Dan Lauzon (Reality Self-Defense) with a rear-naked choke at 1:55 of round 2 awarding him the NABC Lightweight Title. On future plans, Devidas said, “Where do I go from here? It doesn’t matter. I want to build up myself more. I’m still learning. It’s not my end.”

Carlos Nieves (Team Renzo/Almeida) lost the CFFC Welterweight Title to Mike Varner (Boneyard) in a controversial prematurely ended match by way of referee stoppage due to unanswered strikes at 4:35 of round 2. Varner said, “This fight was all owed to my conditioning coach. It’s unbelievable what he did for me. Every elbow I threw, every punch I threw I had power. I felt his life suck out of him.”

Nissim Levy (TSMMA) seemed dazed in his fight against Alexis Aquino (TNT Fight Team) giving Aquino the unanimous decision. Rich Ashkar (Jersey Shore BJJ) submitted Doug Gordon (Rio JJ) with an armbar at 2:29 of round 2.

Jarrid Palmer (Bombsquad) beat Lamont Lister (Team Balance) into submission at 1:15 of round 3. The referee stopped Brian DeMuro (Team Balance) from inflicting any more of his will on Jim Sweeney (Jersey Shore BJJ) at 1:02 of round 2. Sean McCann (Team Endgame) was declared victorious against Ken Owens (TNT Fight Team) at 2:05 of round via unanswered strikes.