Carlos Condit Plans to Talk with UFC Bosses Before Deciding What’s Next

Carlos Condit lands the KO

There’s not much question that Carlos Condit is in line for a shot at the UFC welterweight title, but the only issue is will he wait for the winner of Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz or take another fight?

Following his win over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 132, Condit stated that he was likely to compete again before the end of the year because he didn’t want to sit on the sidelines for too long waiting.

Now after a few days have passed, Condit is refined to talking to his team along with the brass at the UFC to see what the future holds for the ‘Natural Born Killer’.

“You know what, I don’t know,” Condit told MMAWeekly Radio about the decision for his next fight. “I’m going to sit down with my coaches, sit down with my management, possibly talk to Joe Silva, Dana White and I think after we kind of hash things out we’ll have a better picture of how that’s going to work out.”

Like many fighters before him, Condit is tested with a very touch choice if the UFC is dangling a title shot in front of him. Always being an active fighter, Condit isn’t too keen on sitting out, but opportunities like title shots don’t come along every day.

“I also think having such a long layoff might be a disadvantage to me. Diaz and St-Pierre are fighting here in a few months so they would be more busy, not that I would be out of shape or not ready for the fight, but just staying busy and staying sharp. Being sharp enough to compete is an advantage,” Condit said.

“There’s a lot of things to consider here and I don’t know exactly how it’s going to play out or what I’m going to do, who the next fight’s going to be.”

One thing that is for sure with Condit is that he won’t be taking much down time following his first round drubbing of Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 132.

The New Mexico native will be heading back into the gym very soon, and while he wishes nothing but the best for both UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz, if one of them happens to drop out of the fight, he’ll be the first person to call Dana White and ask to step in.

“I’ll tell you this, I’m staying in shape, I’m going to be ready in case. You never know. Somebody could get hurt, you get that call, so I’m going to be back in the gym ASAP,” said Condit.

If everything goes accordingly, St-Pierre and Diaz will battle in late October with the UFC welterweight title on the line. For Condit’s part, he’s rooting for his teammate GSP to come out on top, but with the two welterweights having a common denominator in coach Greg Jackson, he’d rather face Diaz.

“If I had to put my money, I’d say Georges St-Pierre. But I wouldn’t doubt that Diaz could pull off the upset,” Condit stated.

“It would be easier for me to fight (Nick) Diaz just because of the whole team dynamic. I hope Georges (wins), he retains his title, but I’d rather fight Diaz so it’s kind of a tricky thing.”

As of now, Condit and his coaches haven’t had the discussion about the scenario where he’s picked to face St-Pierre if it ends up happening. Condit has already stated that he would absolutely take the fight, but he’d have to talk to his coaches about the training dynamic that would happen if it does come to fruition.

“There needs to be some discussion there, but on the other hand those are the problems you want to have as a trainer I imagine. Having two of the best guys in the world,” said Condit.

Condit will be meeting with his manager and talking to the bosses at the UFC in the next week so some decisions can be made if he will indeed be offered a title shot and wait, or stay active and fight again in the near future.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook.