Cage Fury Fighting Championships 36 Results: Lyman Good Finishes Matthew Secor

Lymon-Good-CFFC36After going to a decision in his last two fights, Lyman Good proved Saturday that he still has plenty of power left in his fists.

The former world champion used a devastating striking attack to finish former “The Ultimate Fighter” contestant Matthew Secor in the opening round of the main event at Cage Fury Fighting Championships 36, held at Mennen Sports Arena in Morristown, N.J.

“I’m definitely happy with my performance. How could I not go out here and try my hardest when I have all my family here from Tiger Schulmann’s,” Good said in thanking his many supporters who were on hand to watch the fight. “One of my strongest assets is my standup, so I’ve been training to go for the kill, like I used to in the old days. (This is) the old Lyman Good – Cyborg.”

It was Good’s first fight for the promotion since his appearance at CFFC 5 nearly seven years ago, and it couldn’t have gone much better for the 29-year-old New York City resident.

Good (16-3) staggered Secor (4-2) with a right hand late in the round. “Cyborg” followed that punch with another right hand and forced Secor to the ground, where he finished him with several short punches and some vicious left elbows. Secor was clearly out when referee Liam Kerrigan jumped in to stop the fight at the 4:21 mark.

It was a disappointing ending for two-time Pan Am champion from South Glens Falls, NY, who took Good’s back early in the round and controlled much of the action before Good’s offensive attack. Secor, who asked for the fight with Good, made no excuses after the bout.

“I think I was winning the fight. I got hit with a punch, and that’s part of the game, getting hit with punches,” said Secor, 27. “I got hit. I don’t really remember anything after that. He hit me good; he hit me flush. What can you do? This is fighting. If I cared about getting knocked out I would’ve been a bowler, I guess. This is the job we have, and sometimes when you make a mistake in our profession, you get knocked out.”

In the co-main event, New York’s Kenny “The Tooth Fairy” Foster claimed a split-decision victory against another “TUF” alum, Andy Main.

Throughout the featherweight fight, Foster (11-8) used his quickness to dart into range and deliver punches and elbows from a variety of angles. He bloodied Main in the opening round before the taller Main began to use his jab and combinations in an effort to control the distance and keep Foster out of range. A black belt in jiu jitsu, Main was never able to get the fight to the ground for any extended period to utilize his strength.

One of the judges gave all three rounds to Main, while another saw Foster winning each round. The final judge had it 29-28 for Foster, who won for just the second time in eight fights.

“Just move on to the next (fight), get some more wins and keep going,” said Foster, who recently moved back to Long Island and now trains out of Maxum BJJ, of his plans. “I’ve got a good camp under me and I want to thank all my coaches. I’ve got some great resources around me now … I’m in the right place mentally and physically, and I couldn’t be more grateful.”

The loss was the first for Main (8-2-1) in more than four years.

Another exciting slugfest also ended in a split decision. Manny “Machine Gun” Walo stormed back from a shaky first round that saw him briefly knocked down by a punch to outlast Diego Peclat in their welterweight bout.

Peclat caught Walo with a right hand on the back end of a combination that dropped the New Jersey Army National Guard veteran. Walo survived, and after a close second round, came out slugging in the third. A nice flurry with a minute left and a takedown at the bell probably helped the Jersey City, NJ, resident pull out the victory. Two of the judges scored the fight 29-28 for Walo, while the third judge had it 29-28 for Peclat.

The fight came nearly nine months after Walo (7-1-1) and Peclat (3-6-1) fought to a controversial draw in Virginia.

“That’s a tough dude – respect,” Walo said of Peclat. “I know there was a lot of stuff said before in the buildup to the fight, but hats off to that guy, he made me a better fighter. I trained non-stop for this fight, two or three times a day. I wasn’t taking him lightly at all.”

Another featured bout was for the No. 1 contender spot in the flyweight division. Top prospect Darren Mima (5-1) proved simply too much for veteran fighter Claudio Ledesma (9-5), winning 30-27, 30-27, and 29-28. Mima gained the mount on several occasions and delivered a torrent of punches and kicks but was never able to stop the game Ledesma.

“CFFC 36 was a huge success and we are looking forward to another great event this Saturday Night June 28 at the 2300 Arena in Philladelphia!” said CFFC president Mike Constantino. “Our Heavyweight title is on the line as defending champion Zu Anyanwu puts the belt up in a rematch vs. Keith Bell, who previously defeated him.”

In other fights:

• Justin Bonitatis earned a TKO of Jake Anderson at 3:40 of the first round in the pro debuts for both fighters at 155 pounds.

• Corey Bleaken (2-1) overwhelmed Diego Llamas (3-2) with strikes, forcing the referee to stop their lightweight fight at 2:03 of the second round.

• Middleweight Shedrick “Chocolate Thunder” Goodridge (6-7) made it three wins in his last four fights by submitting Eric Roncoroni (3-1) by rear-naked choke at 4:39 of round one.

• Sergio Da Silva (3-5) won his second fight in a row by outgrappling Drew Aguilar (2-3) for a unanimous-decision victory at 125 pounds. The scores were 30-27, 29-28, and 29-28.

• The light heavyweight fight between Tim Lutke (0-0) and Donta Wade (3-0) ended in a no contest at 3:00 of the second round after Lutke was determined to be unable to continue following an accidental elbow to the back of the head.

• The opening fight of the evening saw the professional debuts of Noel Arcibal and Melvis Figueroa end early after Figueroa suffered an eyelid laceration at 2:59 of the first round. Arcibal was declared the winner.

Follow on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.