Brock Lesnar Slams Door on UFC Return

March 24, 2015

Brock Lesnar has officially ruled out a return to fighting in the Octagon.

The former UFC heavyweight champion appeared on SportsCenter on Tuesday and announced that he will not pursue a rumored return to mixed martial arts.

Instead, Lesnar revealed that he signed a new contract with the WWE, and will continue his career as a professional wrester and the promotion’s heavyweight champion.

“My legacy in the Octagon is over,” Lesnar said. “It was a hard decision to make. It took me a year. At the end of the day, it’s all about me wanting to have fun … For the last two months, I’ve been training to get back in the Octagon and felt physically great, but something lacked mentally. And that’s not good.

“I’m officially closing the door on MMA.”

Brock Lesnar 090K1Dyna060-750Lesnar said he engaged in talks with UFC President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, but ultimately chose to re-sign with the WWE last night. Lesnar revealed that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon gave him an offer that he couldn’t refuse. Details of the offer were not revealed.

Lesnar was spotted at UFC 184 in Los Angeles in February, which added to the existing rumors that the one-time UFC champ would make his return to fighting for the Las Vegas-based promotion. He said the appearance wasn’t a marketing ploy or meant to provide leverage in contract negotiations, rather to experience the energy of being at a UFC show.

Despite feeling that energy at last month’s UFC card, Lesnar said he was happy with where he’s at.

“At the end of the day, I’m really happy with the WWE,” he said.

ALSO READ: Frank Mir ‘Absolutely’ Wants UFC Rubber Match with Brock Lesnar

Lesnar questioned what he would gain from returning to the UFC, explaining that he already won the organization’s heavyweight title. He added that he “didn’t want to be that guy who retired and came back.”

Lesnar last competed in the UFC in December of 2011, a TKO loss to Alistair Overeem. His previous bout to that was a loss to current UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez, a match that saw Lesnar lose the title.

Now that his MMA return is ruled out, Lesnar will continue his time as the WWE heavyweight champion. He’ll defend the title this Sunday against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 31.

Follow the author on Twitter: @Erik_Fontanez

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram