On Friday, Aug. 12, Bellator hosted a fight card from South Dakota that flew under the radar for most MMA fans. For the most part, it was a great card. Former champion Ilima-Lei Macfarlane got back in the win column, reinvigorating her love for the sport and Aaron Jeffery defeated Austin Vanderford via a first-round TKO putting him on the map and closer toward a title shot. But, with any Bellator card, there were some hiccups like the co-main event being stopped due to an eye poke.
In the main event many had expected the two jiu-jitsu specialists to take the fight to the ground but it was anything but a BJJ affair. For the most part, they stayed on their feet, looking for a KO. And Goiti Yamauchi secured the KO in the second round. With this win, Yamauchi becomes the first man to finish Neiman Gracie.
“Thank God I could get this knockout,” Yamauchi said in his post fight interview. “This is very meaningful. I have no words to describe this moment.”
Check out the full results below.
Bellator 284 Main Card (Showtime, 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT)
- Goiti Yamauchi defeated Neiman Gracie via KO, Round 2 – 3:58
- Valentin Moldavsky vs. Steve Mowry declared a no contest after an accidental eye poke – Round 1 – 0:54
- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane defeated Bruna Ellen via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Gokhan Saricam defeated Said Sowma via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Aaron Jeffery defeated Austin Vanderford via TKO, Round 1 – 1:25
Bellator 284 Preliminary Card (YouTube, 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT)
- Marcos Breno defeated Josh Hill via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)DeAnna Bennett defeated Justine Kish via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Sullivan Cauley defeated Tyson Jeffries via KO, Round 1 – 1:39
- Pat Downey defeated Keyes Nelson via submission (arm triangle choke), Round 1 – o:36
- Bailey Schoenfelder defeated Mark Currier via submission (rear-naked choke), Round 2 – 2:35
- Mitchell McKee defeated Tony Ortega via TKO, Round 2 – 1:28
- M, A, Yah II defeated Brett Bye via unanimous decision (30-27 x3) Amateur Bout