Alistair Overeem may have topped the disclosed UFC 203 fighter salaries, but it may be some time before he fights again after landing on the UFC 203 medical suspension list.
Overeem netted an $800,000 payday, but failed to capture the UFC heavyweight championship when he fought champion Stipe Miocic on Saturday in Cleveland, Ohio.
Miocic weathered an early submission attempt, escaped, and took Overeem out with some heavy leather late in the first round of their UFC 203 main event bout. After Overeem ate so many punches, the Ohio Commission issued him an indefinite suspension that requires neurological testing and clearance before he can return to the Octagon. Even if he gets early clearance, Overeem will have to sit out for at least 60 days as a precautionary measure due to the knockout.
Several other fighters were issued indefinite suspensions for various reasons. Chief among them was Travis Browne, who suffered a badly broken finger, but continued to fight, albeit in a losing effort, against Fabricio Werdum in the night’s co-main event.
The Ohio Athletic Commission released the UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem medical suspensions to MMAWeekly.com on Monday. The event took place on Saturday, Sept. 10, at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.
UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem medical suspensions:
- Stipe Miocic: Suspended 45 days with no contact for 15 days.
- Alistair Overeem: Suspended indefinitely pending neurological clearance from a doctor. Must get a CT scan within five days and an MRI after five days. He faces a minimum suspension of 60 days.
- Travis Browne: Suspended indefinitely pending an orthopedic clearance for his right index finger.
- Phil “CM Punk” Brooks: Suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
- Jimmie Rivera: Suspended indefinitely pending ophthalmological clearance.
- Jessica Andrade: No contact for 30 days.
- Bethe Correia: No contact for 30 days.
- Jessica Eye: Suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
- Brad Tavares: Suspended indefinitely pending medical clearance for his lower back.
- Michael McBride: Suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
- Jason Gonzalez: Suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
- Sean Spencer: Suspended indefinitely pending medical clearance for his left hand.