Yahoo Sports: Vitor Belfort Submits to Blood, Urine Test from Nevada Athletic Commission

November 2, 2014
Comments off

This story was written by Kevin Iole and featured at official content partner, Yahoo Sports.

When Vitor Belfort was granted a license to fight by the Nevada Athletic Commission on July 23 at a hearing in Las Vegas, commissioner Anthony Marnell told Belfort that he’d be subject to random drug tests from the commission until the day he retired.

On Saturday, the first of those tests occurred. Executive director Bob Bennett confirmed to Yahoo Sports that a collector representing the Nevada commission took both blood and urine samples from Belfort in Florida, where Belfort is living while preparing for a Feb. 28 middleweight title match against Chris Weidman.

The results of Saturday’s test will not be known for approximately two weeks, Bennett said. Bennett said Belfort was cooperative and posed no objection to being tested. In May, a collector for Nevada attempted to test Wanderlei Silva, but he objected to the testing and fled the country. That led to him being given a lifetime ban.

It appeared that Belfort would be able to escape the Nevada testing when the UFC moved his bout out of Nevada and put it on Feb. 28 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles as the main event of UFC 184. But Bennett told Yahoo Sports he had always planned to have Belfort tested per the agreement reached at the July 23 hearing.

Bennett said that shortly after the UFC announced Weidman-Belfort would be in Los Angeles, he contacted Andy Foster, the executive officer of the California State Athletic Commission, to confirm with Foster that Nevada would still randomly test Belfort.

The Nevada commission initially had given Belfort a surprise test on Feb. 7 when Belfort arrived at the Venetian for an awards show, anticipating he would fight Weidman in May at UFC 173. Belfort conceded that his testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratios were above the legal limit, but he was on testosterone replacement therapy at the time of the testing. Nevada banned TRT on Feb. 27. Belfort withdrew his license application at that point to allow himself time to cycle off the TRT.

When he was licensed by Nevada in July, it was to fight Weidman in the main event of UFC 181 on Dec. 6 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. But Weidman broke a hand in training and the fight was postponed. The UFC announced on Wednesday that the rescheduled bout would be in Los Angeles.

Follow on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

  • The Warrior

    Belfort’s gonna destroy Weidman and takes his title!!!

    • Seth

      Hmmmm…not without help of certain Mr. T in his body…

      • sean

        Just my opinion but I don’t think he would have beat weidman, even with trt. Weidman is to good for everyone at middleweight at the moment. I said that before the first silva fight. He’s a very intelligent fighter. Can’t see him being beat anytime soon. Vitors best chance is round one. If he can’t win in the first round, he won’t win at all.

        • Triangulator

          he would’ve smashed Weidman in spectacular fashion….my opinion 🙂

        • Guest

          Vitor is a better striker than Chris, has good takedown defence and bjj. Weidman is gonna get owned!

    • TheCerealKiller

      In two weeks he’ll be banned for pissing hot.

  • solo

    It looks like Weidman is destined to defend his belt against Brazilians only.
    Silva, Machida, Belfort… and if he beats Vitor than Jacare could be next.
    Its crazy. When he became champion, we could all see he will eventually face all those big names, but to beat all of them that was and still is hard to believe. So far he’s doing great. So congratulations to Chris, honestly.

    • The Warrior

      Seems like he took the Cain Velasquez path of defending the title against brazillian

  • Chris wins by scorecards

    I agree Chris is great for the sport in he will beat chettor convincingly but I think its jacare’s time I’ve watched his last few fights in he is scary good right now see him submitting Chris in later rounds