MEDINA, Minn. — Travis Wiuff’s training with jiu-jitsu standout Jeremy Horn was very apparent as the ‘former’ ground-and-pound specialist secured an armbar victory over Jimmy Westfall in the main event of Extreme Challenge 65.
It was first armbar submission for Wiuff, a 2-time UFC veteran, who improved to 39-6 overall.
‘I thought about just pounding like usual when I got on top, but then I thought I should use some of the things I’ve been working on with Jeremy,’ Wiuff said.
‘I’ve learned so much since I started training in Utah… I’m glad I got to show something in my fight.’
Meanwhile, LaVerne Clark notched his 20th victory with a technical knockout win over tough Cruz Chacon near the end of the first round. Clark, a 5-time UFC vet, dropped Chacon after a barrage of punches and the referee stepped in to prevent further damage. Chacon did manage to break Clark’s nose during the bout.
The third UFC veteran on the card, Tyrone Roberts, did not fare as well as he lost a close decision to Ron Fields. Roberts, who stands 5-foot-9, competing up a weight class and struggled with the 6-foot-4 Fields’ reach advantage.
In a very close majority decision, Sean Huffman defeated local favorite Joey Clark by scores of 29-29, 29-28 and 29-28. The bout featured many takedowns by Clark and lots of reversals by Huffman.
Local standout Dan Casey stayed unbeaten with a surprisingly quick 22-second armbar win over K-1 MMA veteran Gabe Lemley. Casey is now 17-0-1.
Also, Jake Ellenberger of Omaha, Neb., moved to 6-0 with a ground-and-pound win over previously unbeaten Evan Boemer.
- Ryan Willett def. Josh Chambers, :50 Rd. 2 (3:50) choke
- Dane Dornbush def. Erik Eaton, 0:00 Rd. 2 (3:00), Eaton retired from injury
- BJ Lacy def. Gerald Pierson, :21 Rd. 3 (6:21), Ref stoppage due to strikes
- Rich Sherer def. Mike Suttles, 2:32 Rd. 1, Ref stoppage due to strikes
- Jade Pergande def. Keith Nelson, 3:53 Rd. 1, Ref stoppage due to strikes
- Jake Ellenberger def. Evan Boemer, :48 Rd. 1 Ref stoppage due to strikes
- Ron Fields def. Tyrone Roberts, unanimous decision (15:00)
- Dan Casey def. Gabe Lemley, :22 Rd. 1 armbar
- LaVerne Clark def. Cruz Chacon, 3:35 Rd. 1 TKO
- Sean Huffman def. Joey Clark, Majority decision (15:00)
- Travis Wiuff def. Jimmy Westfall, 2:56 Rd. 1, armbar