Will he or won’t he?
That’s question posed to Top 10 heavyweight Fabricio Werdum. Is he headed back to the UFC or not?
“My motivation is for to fight the best guys in the world. Where is the best guys in the world? Is in the UFC. I like UFC for sure. I like Strikeforce, too,” he told MMAWeekly.com while in attendance at UFC 139 on Saturday night. “My goal now, I’m training hard for come back in the UFC because the best guys is there.”
He’d also like another shot at Alistair Overeem, who is slated to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 141. He and Overeem have split their two fights so far, Overeem winning the most recent contest under the Strikeforce banner.
The fire around a fight with Schaub has, however, has since died down, and Overeem’s dance card is obviously full, but that doesn’t mean that Werdum doesn’t want back in the Octagon.
“I put in Twitter, Werdum UFC Rio 2. I want the fight in Brazil. In four days, 7,000 people want I’m fighting in UFC Rio,” said Werdum, referring to the number of fans re-tweeting his message to UFC president Dana White.
The UFC’s head honcho, however, hasn’t committed to anything yet with Werdum, who has most recently been fighting for Strikeforce.
“I want to fight in UFC, but in Brazil, it’s perfect,” said Werdum, who was born in Brazil, but hasn’t fought there in more than seven years.
White has also been tight-lipped about the future of Strikeforce, once thought to be headed the way of Pride and the WEC.
There has been a change in the executive team at Showtime recently, leading to speculation that the premium cable network may want to remain in the MMA business after all.
If that happens, the UFC may have to stop raiding the talent pool of its sibling promotion. That could mean that Werdum, one of the top heavyweights left on the promotion’s roster, may not get his wish.