by MMAWeekly.com Staff
MMAWeekly.com has obtained the fighter salary information from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for WEC 37 featuring Miguel Torres vs. Manny Tapia, which took place on Wednesday, Dec. 3, at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.
Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.
In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the live broadcast goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Miguel Torres ($44,000/win bonus was $22,000) def. Manny Tapia ($6,000/win bonus would have been $6,000)
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Wagnney Fabiano ($22,000/win bonus was $11,000) def. Akitoshi Tamura ($6,000/win bonus would have been $6,000)
– Brian Bowles ($16,000/win bonus was $8,000) def. Will Ribeiro ($4,000/win bonus would have been $4,000)
*Bowles also earned an extra $7,500 for “WEC 37 Submission of the Night”
– Joseph Benevidez ($17,000/win bonus was $8,500) def. Danny Martinez ($2,000/win bonus would have been $2,000)
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Johny Hendricks ($16,000/win bonus was $8,000) def. Justin Haskins ($3,000/win bonus would have been $3,000)
– Mark Munoz ($20,000/win bonus was $10,000) def. Ricardo Barros ($3,000/win bonus would have been $3,000)
– Diego Nunes ($6,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Cole Province ($3,000/win bonus would have been $3,000)
– Bart Palaszewski ($8,000/win bonus was $4,000) def. Alex Karalexis ($8,000/win bonus would have been $8,000)
*Palaszewski also earned an extra $7,500 for “WEC 37 Knockout of the Night”
– Cub Swanson ($10,000/win bonus was $5,000) def. Hiroyuki Takaya ($5,000/win bonus would have been $5,000)
*Both fighters also earned an extra $7,500 for “WEC 37 Fight of the Night”
– Shane Roller ($16,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Mike Budnik ($4,000/win bonus would have been $4,000)
WEC 37 DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $219,000
WEC 37 AWARD BONUSES
Each fighter received a $7,500 bonus for the following awards.
Fight of the Night:
– Cub Swanson and Hiroyuki Takaya
Knockout of the Night:
– Bart Palaszewski
Submission of the Night:
– Brian Bowles