Following a stellar amateur career, bantamweight up-and-comer Julio Arce has made a successful transition to the professional ranks.
Over the course of his first six pro fights, Arce has remained undefeated and positioned himself on the cusp of bigger thing, especially after 2014.
“Last year was a major year because of the fact that I kept racking up the wins and I also got a mention in Fighter’s Only Magazine as a top prospect,” Arce told MMAWeekly.com. “I’m excited because it puts me one step closer knowing that they’re watching me and knowing my time will come eventually to step up into the high ranks.”
Arce credits his success to an almost constant work ethic that he and others share at Team Tiger Schulmann.
“I’m always training, even when I’m not getting ready for a fight, because I have my other teammates getting ready for their fights and I want to be there for them and their preparation,” said Arce. “And they’re doing the same thing for me, so we’re pushing each other and the training never ends.”
Arce (6-0) will look to start off 2015 much the same he’s been doing so far when he takes on fellow prospect Thomas Vasquez (6-2) in a 135-pound showdown on Friday at the Ring of Combat 50 pay-per-view in Atlantic City, N.J.
“My opponent is very aggressive and very well-rounded,” Arce said of Vasquez. “I’m just going to implement my game plan and make him follow my tempo.
“I’m not going to fight his fight. He’s going to fight my fight. I’m going to keep pushing the pace as we go into the later rounds.”
While Arce’s focus is on Friday night, he knows a win over Vasquez can help vault him to the next step of his career.
“A win over (Vasquez) would put me in a really good spot to get a UFC fight, so I’ve got to get in there and really put on a good fight,” said Arce.
“I put (all the future discussions) aside when I fight. I just go in there and just go. I’m not thinking past this fight. I’m just thinking about my opponent.”