Following his release from the promotion last year, Brenneman has put together a three-fight winning streak, mostly due to a decision on his part to make sure he’s more evenly matched physically with his opposition.
“I made the decision to move down to 155 pounds,” said Brenneman. “I wanted to fight often and win decisively.
“Fighting guys at 155 is much, much better than fighting guys at 170, because he guys at 170, especially in the UFC, their frames and muscle mass was so much more than I had. With guys at 155, I’d be hard pressed to find one functionally stronger than I am.”
Brenneman says the cut in weight was made easier by not having to make drastic changes in his diet.
“Basically, when I made the decision to drop down, it was just basic life changes like cutting out extra carbs, extra soda and extra sugar,” he said. “I really amped up my cardio, just straight running, and within a couple of months I was able to completely transform my body.”
Brenneman (18-5) will be looking to raise his winning streak to four Saturday night at the CFFC event in the Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., against Bellator veteran Ronnie Rogers (15-11).
“Stature-wise, Ronnie’s a short, stocky guy, so that’s something that will give me a reach advantage, so keeping the correct distance will be very important,” said Brenneman. “He’s probably going to want to stay off his back, so I have to make sure when I do close the distance, I do so intelligently and effectively.
“My game plan generally with my fights is that I want to push the pace, pressure him, break him and I want to finish him.”
Following his bout with Rogers, Brenneman told MMAWeekly.com that he intends to take time off for personal matters before returning by year’s end.
“My wife and I are expecting our first child in late September, so I’m going to take time off to get our new house and baby situated, and then I’ll get back into training as soon as I can and at least take one more fight by the end of the year.”