Signs are pointing towards a lightweight match-up between Anthony Pettis and Clay Guida taking place at one of several potential events later this year, according to UFC president Dana White.
Speaking to the media on Tuesday, White stopped short of confirming the bout between Pettis and Guida, but said it’s something they have discussed.
“It’s not a done deal, but that’s the fight we’re talking about,” White said.
Heavy.com first reported the potential match-up. Sources close to the situation indicated to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday that the fight is one that’s been talked about, but much like White said, it’s not done just yet.
The date for the fight has been speculated to take place at several shows, but according to sources, if Pettis vs. Guida does become official, it could happen as far out as UFC 131 rumored for Vancouver.
MMAWeekly.com first reported the news that Pettis didn’t plan on sitting out and waiting for the winner of Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard last week.
“Anthony was obviously disappointed in not getting the title shot, but he also understands why Dana made that decision,” Pettis’ manager Mike Roberts told MMAWeekly.com. “After consulting with Anthony and Duke Roufus, we collectively decided that it would be in Anthony’s best interest to take a fight in the meantime.
“A 10-month or possible year layoff was just too long. We believe with a win against a top lightweight contender Anthony will still get the title shot later in the year.”
Former title contender Kenny Florian has also asked for the fight with Pettis, but it appears as of now that Guida is the leading candidate to welcome the last ever WEC lightweight champion to the Octagon.
© 2011 MMA Weekly All Rights Reserved.