Just when it appeared that Carlos Condit was willing to sit out for several months and wait for Georges St-Pierre to get healthy… well, that’s not going to happen.
Condit instead has agreed to an immediate rematch with Nick Diaz, according to tweets by UFC president Dana White on Tuesday evening.
“That rematch can happen later on in the future. No one’s afraid of Nick, but we have to do what’s best for his career and in my opinion and the people around me and the advice that we’ve been taking, the best fight and the only fight is Georges St-Pierre,” Condit’s manager, Malki Kawa told MMAWeekly.com earlier in the day on Tuesday.
But a lot changed from the time Kawa spoke with MMAWeekly.com and Tuesday evening. Not least of which was an apparent sweetening of the pot for Condit to put his newly earned interim UFC welterweight title back on the block against Diaz.
No details of the rematch or the agreement to make it happen have surfaced, but the promotion on Tuesday did reveal that UFC on Fox 4 is slated for Aug. 4 in Los Angeles. That event is going to need some star power, so it isn’t out of the realm that Condit vs. Diaz II might be tapped for that event. There are also a number of other pay-per-view events on tap from May to August that could utilize the bout as a headliner.
But for now, it’s unclear when and where the fight will land, although White and Kawa both tweeted that Kawa and Condit will be in Las Vegas on Friday for an announcement.
“I didn’t feel like it was all that close. I felt like I dominated almost every round,” said Condit following Saturday night’s initial meeting. Now we’ll get to see if he can do it again.