UFC president Dana White on Tuesday believed he had put the rematch together that a multitude of fans had been clamoring for following UFC 143’s main event between Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz.
Diaz stalked Condit down the entire fight, but Condit stuck and moved, walking out of the Octagon on Saturday night with a unanimous decision and the interim UFC welterweight championship.
Condit had earned the right to face champion Georges St-Pierre, but after a couple days of fans blowing up his Twitter account, White revealed that Condit had agreed to instead face Nick Diaz in an immediate rematch.
That didn’t last long, however, as Diaz’s trainer and manager, Cesar Gracie, told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday “there is not going to be a rematch.”
The speculation immediately began to swirl, and where there was smoke, there was definitely some fire.
Keith Kizer of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday informed MMAWeekly.com that Diaz had tested positive for marijuana metabolites and “a complaint for disciplinary action against Mr. Diaz has been filed.”
It didn’t take long for White to respond.
“I am beyond disappointed that he tested positive for marijuana,” said White in a prepared statement. “It is now in the hands of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.”
It was a simple, almost bland statement from White, who is known for his fiery personality, but you could almost see the disappointment dripping from it.
What happens next is anyone’s best guess. Most likely, Condit will go back into the expected holding pattern, waiting for Georges St-Pierre to return sometime around October or November. Condit and his manager, Malki Kawa of First Round Management, are slated to meet with White in Las Vegas on Friday.
“As for Carlos and what’s next for his future, we’ll definitely discuss that with the UFC and Dana White in the coming days,” Kawa told MMAWeekly.com.
Until then, we, like Condit, are left in limbo.