Fuel TV’s success as the flagship for UFC programming continued in August, as the network reported on Tuesday that it hit its highest peak audience ever, as well as had its most watched UFC Prelims broadcast ever, during the month.
The UFC on Fox 4 preliminary bouts, which aired on Fuel TV on Aug. 4, marked a high point of 328,000 total viewers during the 7:45 p.m. ET to 8:00 p.m. ET quarter hour, according to Nielsen Media Research. That is the largest peak audience the network has ever recorded.
The UFC on Fox 4 Aug. 4 preliminary broadcast also accounted for an average of 194,000 total viewers over the course of its three-hour timespan. That represents the most watched UFC prelims ever on Fuel TV, since its inception in January of this year with the prelims for UFC on Fox 2.
Those two high points in August put an exclamation point on another solid month for Fuel TV. The growth of the action sports network was a key aspect in the UFC’s television deal with the Fox family of networks that began in January. The intent was to make Fuel TV the flagship for UFC programming in an effort to build its audience, which had often been measured in the tens of thousands at the best of times prior to adding the UFC into the mix.
Thus far, the strategy has paid off well.
In 2012, Fuel TV’s ratings have outperformed the corresponding week in 2011 for 35 weeks and eight months straight since the beginning of the year.
“It’s been exciting to see eight consecutive months of incredible ratings growth at Fuel TV,” said George Greenberg, the network’s Executive Vice President and General Manager. “We’re thrilled with our partnership with the UFC and the power its programming has to attract huge and loyal audiences on a daily basis. With more live fights coming up in September and through the end of the year, we’re confident our viewership growth will continue.”
August accounted for 408 hours of UFC programming, the second-most of the year, compared to July’s 480 hours.
Some other Fuel TV August highlights:
– August 2012 was up +50% in Total Viewers and +150% in M18-49 vs. August 2011
– Prime time finished up +157% in Total Viewers and +189% in M18-49 vs. August 2011
– Live UFC Prelims on FUEL TV on Saturday, August 4 was the network’s most-watched prelims ever with 194,000 Total Viewers
– On August 4, the UFC Prelims on FUEL TV viewership peaked from 7:45 PM ET – 8:00 PM ET with 328,000 Total Viewers, the network’s largest peak ever
– It was the network’s second most-watched show among M18-49 and fifth most-watched program of all time
– On August 4, the UFC Prelims on FUEL TV contributed to the network’s most-watched Saturday prime on both Total Viewers and M18-49
– August 4 was the network’s second most-watched Saturday among M18-49 and third most-watched Saturday on Total Viewers
– For the first eight months of 2012, prime time viewership is +164% vs. 2011
– Since January 1, the network’s total day viewership is up +91% compared to 2011
Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC news and updates.