Brock Lesnar is currently on sabbatical hunting and on a commune with nature, but when the former UFC heavyweight champion is ready to return to action it will likely be against longtime foe Frank Mir to settle their rivalry once and for all.
That’s the word from UFC president Dana White, who says that he hasn’t spoken to Lesnar recently, but it’s the fight that has been talked about and makes the most sense.
“The last I did hear from him, he said that he wanted to fight Frank Mir again,” White said about Lesnar. “That fight kind of makes sense. You know, rubber match, we’ll see.”
Lesnar and Mir have battled back and forth in a war of words before and after their fights, as well as having competed against each other twice in the Octagon. Mir defeated Lesnar in the former WWE superstar’s second pro fight, who then exacted revenge when they met at UFC 100 last year.
Mir was last in action at UFC 119 in Indianapolis, where he knocked out former Pride Grand Prix champion Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic. Lesnar of course lost the UFC heavyweight championship to Cain Velasquez at UFC 121 just a few weeks back.
One fight that was shot down on Friday was a rumored bout between Lesnar and former “Ultimate Fighter” winner Roy Nelson. According to reports, Lesnar had asked for that fight, but White says that’s simply not true.
“That’s not true, he never asked for Roy Nelson,” he declared.
Lesnar had stated following the fight with Velasquez that he intended to take some time off for hunting and to spend time with his family. If a third fight with Frank Mir does happen, it would likely not be until sometime during the first quarter of 2011.