by Ken Pishna – MMAWeekly.com
MMAWeekly has obtained the fighter salary information from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for UFC 86 featuring Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, which took place on Saturday, July 5, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.
Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.
In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the live broadcast goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Forrest Griffin ($250,000/win bonus was $150,000) def. Quinton Jackson ($225,000)
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Patrick Cote ($32,000/win bonus was $16,000) def. Ricardo Almeida ($23,000)
– Joe Stevenson ($60,000/win bonus was $30,000) def. Gleison Tibau ($11,000)
– Josh Koscheck ($70,000/win bonus was $35,000) def. Chris Lytle ($14,000)
– Tyson Griffin ($40,000/win bonus was $20,000) def. Marcus Aurelio ($40,000)
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Gabriel Gonzaga ($100,000/win bonus was $50,000) def. Justin McCully ($5,000)
– Cole Miller ($20,000/win bonus was $10,000) def. Jorge Gurgel ($10,000)
– Melvin Guillard ($20,000/win bonus was $10,000) def. Dennis Siver ($7,000)
– Justin Buchholz ($8,000/win bonus was $4,000) def. Corey Hill ($8,000)
UFC 86 DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $943,000
UFC 86 AWARD BONUSES
(as disclosed by UFC president Dana White)
Each fighter received a $60,000 bonus for the following awards.
Fight of the Night:
– Forrest Griffin and Quinton Jackson
Knockout of the Night:
– Melvin Guillard
Submission of the Night:
– Cole Miller