UFC 57 is set for SuperBowl Weekend on February 4th from Mandalay Bay and the card is about completed. The headline fight will be Chuck Liddell vs Randy Couture as these two meet for a third time. The rest of the card is almost filled out as well.
Here are some match ups that MMAWeekly.com has learned about over the past several months and you have seen the latest news about this card as well as several others on the “Rumors” section of the site.
UFC 57 – LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
- Chuck Liddell vs Randy Couture – Some people believe win or lose this will be the last fight for Couture. Couture told MMAWeekly Radio last month that he hasn’t decided anything. Either way the third time will be a charm for one of these fighters and it should be a tremendous fight.
- Babalu Sobral vs Mike Van Arsdale – Two great wrestlers and two solid fighters in the 205 pound division. If Babalu wins he probably is next in line for a title shot. For Van Arsdale a win here makes his stock rise with his only loss at 205 to Couture.
- Paul Buentello vs Gilbert Aldano – Buentello needs a win here after a bad loss to Arlovski. Aldana is a perfect 5-0 in Rage in the Cage and loves to bang. Somebody is getting knocked out.
- Frank Mir vs Marcio “Pe De Pano” Cruz – Could be one of the best grappling submission matches we’ve ever seen in the UFC Heavyweight Division. How tentative will Mir be in his first fight back?
- Justin Eilers vs Brandon Vera – Two former heavyweights who will fight at 205. Vera believes he’s the future of the sport. Eilers thinks 205 will be his new weight class. Which fighter will be right?
- Brandon Lee Hinkle vs Jeff Monson – Monson hasn’t been in the UFC since he lost to Ricco Rodriguez at UFC 35 where he lost by in the third round by ref stoppage. Since then he has gone 13-1 and has improved. Brandon Lee Hinkle beat Sean Gannon in his UFC debut and will go up against a fighter that has much more experience in this fight.
- Mike Whitehead vs Keith Jardine – Two Ultimate Fighter 2 veterans battling it out. Those close to Whitehead believe he was physically exhausted in his fight with Rashad Evans and that’s why he couldn’t throw. We all remember the jiu-jitsu drill where Joe Stevenson went around Whitehead 200 plus times in two hours. Some believe that is why Whitehead’s performance was so bad. In any case Whitehead will have to make a statement against the very tough Keith Jardine the first weekend of February if he wants any additional fights in the Octagon.
- Alessio Sakara vs Elvis Sinosic – Sakara had an impressive debut at UFC 55. His fight was ruled a no-contest when he was kicked in the groin by Ron Faircloth. Elvis Sinosic stood and threw down with Forrest Griffin in his last fight before losing. We all love Elvis, one of the nicest guys and great spokespersons of the sport, but his record isn’t great. With 6 wins and 8 losses does he deserve to be in the Octagon?