The elimination round of 32 aspiring welterweights took place at the storied Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
The winner of the season and coach will receive a new, custom Harley Davidson motorcycle and the winning fighter gets a six-figure contract to compete in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The first bout was between Dom Waters and Kevin Nowaczyk. Waters wasted set the bar high with an uppercut KO to gain access to the fighter house.
Michael Hill secured his bed in the house with a left hook KO of Lev Magen.
The third elimination bout featured a clinch battle between Bristol Marunde and U.S. Marine Geroge Lockhart. Marunde secured the first place in the house by submission win with a guillotine choke.
Mike Ricci used his hands and punching power to fill a vacancy in the fighter house by dropping and finishing Jason South.
In a fight UFC President Dana White characterized as “boring,” Julian Lane advance into the field of 16, winning by decision over Diego Bautista.
Igor Araujo and Cortez Coleman needed a sudden death round to decide their outcome. In the final round, Araujo locked up a triangle choke to advance in the competition.
James Chaney pulled guard and secured a triangle choke of his own on Jerel Clark to land his spot in the fighter house.
Cameron Diffley, who coached Jiu-Jitsu for Team Griffin in the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter, displayed his submission skills with an arm bar victory over Zane Kamaka.
Neil Magny and Frank Camacho took a round each, forcing a “sudden victory” round to decide which fighter advanced. Magny dominated the final round to change residence to Las Vegas for the next several weeks.
Jon Manley advanced into the fighter house by winning a rather lackluster bout over Ricky Legere.
In a bit of unsportsmanlike conduct, Colton Smith faked touching gloves with Jesse Barrett and dropped down for a takedown and got it. He grinded his way to a decision win gaining access to a bed in the fighter house.
Matt Sector’s was taking shots and getting takedowns stuffed agaist Max Griffin but locked on a triangle choke in the “sudden death” round to move forward in the welterweight tournament.
Eddy Ellis pulled off an arm triangle choke submission over David Michaud in the second round to earn a spot on this season’s cast.
Nic Herron-Webb locked up the hisl bed in the fighter house with a first round arm bar win over Tim Rubert.
Sam Alvey made quick work of Leo Kuntz to secure the final spot of the sixteen available with a 47-second technical knockout win.
Following the elimination round, coaches Shane Carwin and Roy Nelson chose their teams.
Coach Nelson won the customary coin toss and was left with the decision to decide whether to pick the first fighter of make the first match up. He chose to select the first match up, giving Carwin the choice of first fighter. Carwin chose Sam Alvey. Nelson’s first pick was Dom Waters. Waters and Alvery both won their elimination bouts by KO with in the first minute.
Carwin’s second pick was Bristol Marunde. Nelson chose Michael Hill.
The rest of the picks went as follows:
Sam Alvey, Bristol Marunde, Mie Ricci, Neil Magny, James Chaney, Eddy Ellis, Igor Araujo, Matt Secor.
Dom Waters, Michael Hill, Cameron Diffley, Colton Smith, Jon Manley, Nic Herron-Webb, Joey Rivera, Julian lane.
Full TUF 16 Episode 1 Results:
- Dom Waters def. Kevin Nowaczyk – TKO, 1rd, 0:32
- Michael Hill def. Lev Magen – TKO, 1rd, 1:27
- Bristol Marunde def. George Lockhart – Sub (via guillotine), 1rd, 2:23
- Mike Ricci def. Jason South – TKO, 1rd, 1:50
- Julian Lane def. Diego Bautista – Unanimous decision
- Igor Araujo def. Cortez Coleman – Sub (via triangle choke), 3rd (victory round), 3:16
- James Chaney def. Jerel Clark – Sub (via triangle choke), 1rd, 1:30
- Cameron Diffley def. Zane Kamaka – Sub (via armbar), 1rd, 1:37
- Neil Magny def. Frank Camacho – Unanimous decision
- Jon Manley def. Ricky Legere, Jr. – Unanimous decision
- Colton Smith def. Jesse Barrett – Unanimous decision
- Matt Secor def. Max Griffin – Sub (via triangle choke), 3rd (victory round), 2:55
- Eddy Ellis def. David Michaud – Sub (via arm triangle), 2rd, 4:29
- Joey Rivera def. Saad Awad – Majority decision
- Nic Herron-Webb def. Tim Rubert – Sub (via armbar), 1rd, 4:17
- Sam Alvey def. Leo Kuntz – TKO, 1rd, 0:47