by MMAWeekly.com Staff
MMAWeekly has obtained the fighter salary information from the California State Athletic Commission for Strikeforce “Shamrock vs. Diaz” featuring the Frank Shamrock vs. Nick Diaz main event, which took place on Saturday, April 11, at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.
Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.
In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the main card goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Nick Diaz $39,950 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Frank Shamrock $369,790
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Gilbert Melendez $49,890 (no win bonus) def. Rodrigo Damm $9,190
– Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos $18,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Hitomi Akano $1,450
– Scott Smith $49,940 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Benji Radach $16,940
– Brett Rogers $39,940 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Ron Humphries $3,205
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Luke Rockhold $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Buck Meredith $1,540
– Eric Lawson $9,950 (includes $2,000 win bonus) def. Waylon Kennell $1,950
– Raul Castillo $6,890 (includes $3,500 win bonus) def. Brandon Michaels $1,500
– James Terry $3,940 (includes $2,000 win bonus) def. Zak Bucia $1,500
– Shingo Kohara $940 (no win bonus) def. Jeremy Tavares $940
STRIKEFORCE “SHAMROCK VS. DIAZ” DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $633,445