by MMAWeekly.com Staff
MMAWeekly.com has obtained the fighter salary information from the Washington Department of Licensing’s Professional Athletics Program for Strikeforce Challenger Series featuring Joey Villasenor vs. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, which took place on Saturday, June 19, at the ShoWare Center in Kent, Wash.
The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.
Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.
In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the live broadcast goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Joey Villasenor ($48,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos ($10,000)
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Tim Kennedy ($20,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Nick Thompson ($15,000)
– Jorge Gurgel ($20,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Conor Heun ($4,000)
– Sarah Kaufman ($8,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Shayna Baszler ($8,000)
– Luke Rockhold ($7,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Cory Devela ($7,500)
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Dennis Hallman ($10,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Justin Davis ($2,000)
– Bryan Caraway ($6,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Alex Zuniga ($1,000)
– Lyle Beerbohm ($6,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Duane Ludwig ($15,000)
– Landon Showalter ($3,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. George Stork ($1,000)
– Len Bentley ($1,500/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Marques Daniels ($1,500)
– Steve Hadsel ($3,000/win bonus was undisclosed) def. Taylor Roberts ($1,000)
STRIKEFORCE CHALLENGER SERIES DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $198,500