by Steven Marrocco – MMAWeekly.com
MMAWeekly has obtained the fighter salary information from the California State Athletic Commission for Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” featuring Gina Carano vs. Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos, which took place on Saturday, Aug. 15, at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.
Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.
In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the live broadcast goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Cristiane Santos $25,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Gina Carano $125,000
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Gegard Mousasi $2,000 def. Renato Sobral $75,000
– Gilbert Melendez $50,000 def. Mitsuhiro Ishida $30,000
– Fabricio Werdum $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Mike Kyle $14,000
– Jay Hieron $55,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Jesse Taylor $12,000
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Scott Lighty $4,000 def. Mike Cook $2,500
– Justin Wilcox $5,000 (includes $2,500 win bonus) def. David Douglas $5,500
– James Terry $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Zak Bucia $2,000
– Alex Trevino $3,500 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Isaiah Hill $2,000
STRIKEFORCE “CARANO VS. CYBORG” DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $468,500