Strikeforce’s future will likely be decided in the next month.
The promotion, which was purchased by Zuffa earlier this year, currently airs on Showtime and according to UFC President Dana White it’s up to them if they decide to renew their contract to air the show on the network.
Currently, Strikeforce’s deal with Showtime is rumored to run through the first quarter of 2012.
UFC President Dana White stated when speaking with MMAWeekly.com says that there is a deadline when Showtime could renew the deal.
“I think it’s another month,” White said when asked how much time remains until the deadline. “It depends on whether these guys still want to be in the business or not.”
Ultimately, White put the onus on them to decide Strikeforce’s fate.
“Who knows what’s going to happen. The way that this thing works is it depends on Showtime,” White said on Wednesday. “Ball’s in their court. They’re going to decide if they want to keep Strikeforce around or not. We’re not, they will.”
Strikeforce has recently undergone several shifts in talent with welterweight champion Nick Diaz as well as light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson moving back over to the UFC, as well as former middleweight champion Cung Le.
This was in addition to Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem being dropped from the promotion, but then ultimately re-signing with Zuffa as a UFC competitor.
White did say that he believes Strikeforce could still be a viable product if Showtime really wants to be involved in the MMA business, but right now that decision still remains up in the air.
All signs appear to be pointing towards Strikeforce going away with several top fighters defecting to the UFC, and almost all of their major championships being vacated.
Now it’s up to Showtime to decide if they want to remain in business with Strikeforce, or sever ties once this current deal expires.