Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is not contemplating retirement following two failed drug tests, according to a report on Wednesday.
Sources close to the fighter informed “UFC Tonight” of his intentions. Additionally, the report said that Silva may plan to fight in the UFC again in 2015, depending on his punishment from the Nevada Athletic Commission.
Silva failed his a pre-fight drug test ahead of UFC 183, as well as his post-fight exam. The substances found in Silva’s system included steroids Drostanolone and Androstane, as well as anti-anxiety medications Oxazepam and Temazepam.
Reports on Silva’s stance have varied since his failed tests were revealed to the public. In a statement forwarded to MMAWeekly.com last month, the fighter said, “I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs. My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I’m an advocate for a clean sport.” Other reports have said Silva will soon reveal he was taking performance-enhancing drugs for therapeutic purposes.
Silva’s UFC 183 opponent, Nick Diaz, also failed his post-fight drug test, showing positive for traces of marijuana.
A disciplinary hearing is intended to be scheduled for Silva and Diaz, but the program reported that Silva’s team has requested an extension. A date for the new hearing is yet to be announced.
(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)