Late Monday night, one professional fighter who wished to remain anonymous told MMAWeekly that the WFA has already started shooting publicity photos for their upcoming show, which is scheduled to take place in late June or early July.
The photos, according to this fighter, featured Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Lindland in the main event.
This would be big news, indeed, not only because it would confirm that Jackson has signed with the WFA, but also because many people thought that Lindland was going to be a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter 4 (which begins taping later this month). It now appears that is not the case.
MMAWeekly.com put calls into Lindland late Monday night, but could not reach him. Lindland did tell MMAWeekly.com months ago that he had signed a WFA contract, so this could fall under the contract that was orginially signed months ago.
In what would be an even bigger surprise, the same fighter told MMAWeekly.com that the WFA is working on trying to put together a fight that would turn heads in the MMA community. The potential match-up would be Bas Rutten vs. Kimo.
Rutten hasn’t fought in MMA since UFC 20 in May of 1999 when he defeated Kevin Randleman by split decision to win the UFC Heavyweight Title. Kimo’s last fight was in July 2005 at Pride Bushido 8, where he lost to Ikuhisa Minowa.
As far-fetched as it sounds, the fighter told MMAWeekly.com that he knew the WFA had already begun talks with Rutten and Kimo in an attempt to put together the fight.
Additionally, Ivan Salaverry has signed with the WFA and is getting a check-up from his doctor today. Upon being cleared, he will throw his hat in the ring once again and face King of the Cage veteran Art Santore.
Jason “Mayhem” Miller is another name that could spend time in the WFA and should make for some interesting match-ups.
We will have more on this story soon on MMAWeekly.com, your news leader in MMA.