Pat Barry Happy to Face Carwin, Hunt, Struve or Whoever the UFC Sees Fit

March 5, 2011
Comments off

Pat Barry and Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic at UFC 115

Coming off a win over Joey Beltran in January, striker extraordinaire Pat Barry is ready to step back into the Octagon and he’s just waiting on a call from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva.

There are a few interesting match-ups on Barry’s mind that would make sense and would be fun fights for the former K-1 kickboxer.

While by no means is Barry calling anyone out, he does admit that a fight with 6’11” Dutch fighter Stefan Struve would be interesting. Especially since he stands at 5’11”.

“Personally, I think it would be cool to fight Stefan Struve. The tallest heavyweight versus the shortest heavyweight. I think that would be cool,” Barry said recently.

Barry has never been a fighter known to call any other fighter out, and instead opting to go with the philosophy of facing whoever the UFC puts in front of him. A fight against Struve is no different, but it would test his flexibility for sure.

“Do I really want to fight him? Naw, I just think I can high kick him,” Barry said about a potential match-up with Struve.

As far as other fights in the division that interest Barry, they also include a fellow former K-1 fighter and a former UFC heavyweight champion.

“Mark Hunt just won a fight, Shane Carwin’s looking for somebody for (UFC) 131,” Barry mentioned for possible opponents.

Hunt picked up a win in Australia last month, ending his six fight losing streak and also getting his first victory in the UFC. Before moving to MMA, Hunt was a well known kickboxer working in the K-1 circuit, known for his granite like chin and heavy punches.

A fight between Hunt and Barry might be the striker’s dream match many MMA fans would flock to.

Meanwhile, Shane Carwin is still expected to fight at UFC 131 in June in Vancouver, but an opponent remains to be announced. The former champion has been on a recovery road after back surgery set him back a few months ago, but now the slimmed down Carwin is ready to get back in action.

The UFC has made no official offer to Barry or his camp for his next fight, but options are on the table and the Duke Roufus trained fighter is happy to accept any of them.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow Damon on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments are closed.