The ONE: Pride of Lions main event rematch between welterweight champion Ben Askren and challenger Luis “Sapo” Santos was under negotiation following a botched weigh-in. The event is slated for Friday at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore.
Santos weighed in two full pounds over the 170-pound limit for the title bout, and that didn’t sit well with Askren. The champ said he was willing to accept the fight… with one stipulation. Askren wants Santos to weigh-in again on Friday and be at or less than 190 pounds.
Most fighters rehydrate after weighing in a day prior to their fight, so hitting the 190-pound mark for a 170-pound bout, shouldn’t be a difficult task for Santos, although many welterweight fighters often rehydrate to a little bit more than 190 pounds.
“It’s incredibly unprofessional for Sapo to be so unprepared and completely not make weight for this fight,” ONE CEO Victor Cui told MMAWeekly.com’s James Goyder. “Askren put in the hard work, made weight, and it really is unbelievable to see Sapo be so unprofessional and have a complete disregard of what it means to be a professional fighter competing at the highest levels of MMA.”
ONE Strawweight World Champion Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke and Yago Bryan of Brazil will meet each other in a Super Fight bout at 52.9kg/117lbs in the co-main event.
ONE: PRIDE OF LIONS WEIGH-IN RESULTS
- ONE Welterweight bout: Ben Askren (77.1kg/169.5lbs) VS Luis Santos (78.2kg/172.0lbs)
- ONE Strawweight Super Fight bout: Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke (52.0kg/114.5lbs) VS Yago Bryan(52.8kg/116.5lbs)
- Featherweight bout: Major Overall (65.5kg/144.0lbs) VS Kotetsu Boku (65.7kg/144.5lbs)
- Women’s Strawweight bout: Angela Lee (51.6kg/113.5lbs) VS Natalie Gonzales Hills (51.8kg/114.0lbs)
- Heavyweight bout: Alain Ngalani (110.6kg/243.5lbs) VS Igor Subora (102.3kg/225.5lbs)
- Featherweight bout: Martin Nguyen (65.3kg/143.5lbs) VS Edward Kelly (65.6kg/144.5lbs)
- Featherweight bout: Amir Khan (65.7kg/144.5lbs) VS Jimmy Yabo (65.7kg/144.5lbs)
- Featherweight bout: Benedict Ang (65.6kg/144.5lbs) VS Yohan Mulia Legowo (65.4kg/144.0lbs)
- Featherweight bout: Li Kai Wen (65.8kg/145.0lbs) VS Nathan Ng (65.8kg/145.0lbs)