Despite some backlash, UFC President Dana White is standing by his original statement in claiming Georges St-Pierre owes Johny Hendricks and fans another fight in the Octagon.
White, in fact, directly addressed critics who felt he was wrong in his comments in saying, “No, you’re wrong.”
“Here’s the reality: Georges St-Pierre took almost a year and a half off and he’s had two fights since then because he blew his ACL out,” White said on UFC Tonight. “When you fight in this sport, there’s a small window of opportunity for people, and there’s a lineup right now of people who want a shot at that 170-pound title. You can’t just say, ‘I’m going to take off and put this on hold because I have personal problems.’ You can’t do that. No, you cannot.”
The unapologetic White said that he spoke with St-Pierre, and the champion admitted he was unhappy with the way he handled the pseudo-retirement speech when the fighter said he needed to step away from fighting for bit.
White added that in speaking with St-Pierre ahead of last Saturday’s UFC 167 card, the fighter shot down any idea of retiring from fighting. White revealed that St-Pierre told him, “No way, I’m not retiring. That’s not happening.”
The UFC boss continued to defend his stance about GSP owing more fights, explaining that he’s been one of the foremost praisers of St-Pierre in the fighter’s time with the organization. That, however, didn’t change White’s mind in terms of how he feels about St-Pierre’s actions last weekend.
“I’m the guy that talks about Georges St-Pierre all the time … about what an amazing champion he’s been,” White said. “But he made a big mistake Saturday night when he went up there and said what he said. He shouldn’t have said it, it didn’t make sense, and it left everybody wondering what was going on, including me.”
(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)