Nick Diaz Says He’s Ready to Fight and He’s Sorry for Missing the ‘Beauty Pageant’

September 7, 2011

Nick Diaz is missing no more.

The former Strikeforce welterweight champion who was slated to face Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137, but was then pulled from the fight after missing two pre fight press events, has now resurfaced with a cryptic video explaining his absence.

It’s been no secret that Diaz has never been a huge fan of press obligations, but after not returning calls from UFC President Dana White and his manager and trainer Cesar Gracie, the Stockton native was yanked from the main event bout.

Now hours later, Diaz released a video on YouTube with his version of the story, and reiterates several times that he’s ready to fight.

“The UFC wanted me to fight for the title against Georges St-Pierre, and now they’re telling me that they’re going to give the fight to Carlos Condit, which I think is ridiculous,” Diaz stated.

“Georges thinks it’s a great idea because Carlos Condit poses an even greater threat, so I guess that just leaves me out.”

No showing press commitments isn’t anything new for Diaz, but under the UFC he’s been expected to show up and participate. Currently, he’s 0-2 for press conferences with the promotion since re-signing earlier this year, but he calls it a ‘beauty pageant’ and says he’s still ready to compete.

“All I know is I’m ready to fight. I’m sorry I didn’t make it to the beauty pageant, but I’ve never not showed up to a fight, and I’ve never backed out of a fight in my life. That’s not what I do,” Diaz stated.

Georges St-Pierre is now set to face Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC 137, and while the promotion still hasn’t decided what to do about Diaz yet, as of now he remains on the UFC’s roster.

If he does get another shot, Diaz is more than ready to fight and face whoever they put in the cage with him.

“I’ll fight whatever, whoever, anything,” said Diaz. “I’d definitely rather fight GSP of course.”

Watch Nick Diaz explain his side of the story in the video below (warning explicit language)


Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.